About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:10:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Hello from a Noob :)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from a Noob :)  (Read 1125 times)
guest619
« on: June 26, 2017, 11:33:19 am »

Hi Everyone,

My name is Oliver from Gainesville Florida and I'm fairly new to collecting snuff bottles. I've got lots of bottles in my collection but many are fakes that I've learned from along the way. I live with my partner and our hound dog named Mr. Rogers.

My passion for snuff bottles started through getting a degree in art and then working for several galleries and a museum that had many in it's collection. I was and still am fascinated by the artistry and mastery of materials in such a small package. I look forward to learning even more! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 11:48:22 am »

Hi Oliver,

Welcome aboard. I'm from the Boston area and have been collecting snuff bottles for a number of years and recently became a member of the forum.  You will find this forum to be a wonderful source of information and fellowship. Everyone here is so kind and generous in sharing knowledge on all aspects of collecting snuff bottles. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 11:50:57 am »

Greetings Oliver!

I'm pretty new to the Forum as well, and I can tell you it's a great source of information about snuff bottles.  I'm trying to learn about bottles that were in my grandmother's collection (even the fake ones) and slowly build my fledgling collection.  I'm from the Midwest, but curious to know which museum you were affiliated with?

Cheers,

Rube.
ps- love the name of your hound dog!
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 11:52:02 am »

Hi Oliver,

I'm from the UK and as Toni-Lee and Rube have said, this is a great place to gain knowledge about our shared passion for snuff bottles.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 12:01:44 pm »

Welcome Oliver...

I am near Spokane Washington.. Been collecting for a few short years, and still learning from others here..

Look forward to sharing bottle collecting experiences with you !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:02:59 pm »

Hi Oliver!  I am from North Carolina and have been collecting for about seven years.  I have learned much from this wonderful group of collectors.  I think we all have some bottles that are not the "best", but as we study and learn our collections improve! So glad to have you aboard!

Glad you told us about Mr. Rogers as many of us are animal lovers too!  We have a seven month old puppy, Baylee, that is half hound and half shepherd.  I look forward to seeing some of your bottles.  
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 12:09:02 pm »

Dear Oliver,

A warm welcome from me as well. I live in Jerusalem Israel, but have a summer place in County Wexford, Ireland, where I am at present.

Being on the Forum has rejuvenated my enthusiasm for snuff bottles!
I hope you'll learn a lot and share what you know, as well.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

guest619
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:34:20 pm »

Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone. It's so great to be in a community of people who are passionate about snuff bottles and who are still excited to learn and grow! Rube, I worked at the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art as their chief preparator for almost a year.

Joe, Baylee sounds adorable. Mr. Rogers is half beagle half german pointer and is instant best friends with everyone.

Thank you Joey! I've never been to Israel but I have spent a month in Ireland and would go back in an instant.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 02:50:59 pm »

Both Mr. Rogers and Baylee sound great.
Laddius, my Irish Setter, passed away 2 years ago, and all my Weimaraners have passed on as well. I need a new dog.
At the moment, we have a Chinese cock Pheasant on the grounds, bred by a neighbour, which settled here two weeks ago. He started out friendly, but has started getting aggressive.

I've got 2 couples of friends, each with a toddler, arriving tomorrow, and I can't have him attacking anyone, G-D Forbid.

If he's not off the grounds by tomorrow morning, we will be having roast pheasant!
Best to all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 03:02:12 pm »

Dear Jo,

When you buried your old dog, who was such a sweety, did you put a memorial stone over the grave?
   Here, at least on period country properties, that is the tradition.

I have stones on the graves of Laddie (1990-1998) & Laddius (1999 - 2015), my two Irish Setters; and for my Weimaraners,  Jessie, Sarah, and Barak. Harvey (official name, Brigade Boy), my 15 3/4 hand gelding, was buried near where most of the dogs are buried (my other gelding, Erani, and my first bitch, Sable, and two of her puppies,
Jeremy and Judith, are buried near the edge of the property, in a small willow & ash grove.).

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 03:21:31 pm »

Joey- I have not had the heart yet to bury Andy.  He was cremated and is on a shelf in the library.  We miss him so much and are just keeping him close right now. I love your tradition you described with your animals.  Our first golden retriever, Chippenham is buried by the pond on the property. 

Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 03:26:44 pm »

Oliver- Mr. Rogers and Baylee sound like they would get along very well! Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 04:54:55 pm »

Dear Jo (and David),

Andy was such a wonderful, welcoming dog. I really enjoyed him when I visited you all.
   I had a few blocks of grey Kilkenny Limestone (they call it 'Kilkenny Marble'), and we cut them up to form smaller blocks, 2 ft. X 1 ft. X 1 ft. high, and put each canine's name, IKC name, DOB & DOD on his or her stone.

Laddie, the first one to go and be buried in my little hidden garden, within a Japanese style fence, near my Meditation Garden in the style of the Ryoan-ji in Kyoto (but not wide enough, sadly. You should not be able to take in the whole breadth of the raked gravel area in one view; but I wouldn't cut down trees.) got a Granite stone 3 ft. wide X 2 ft. X 1 ft high, with LADDIE, 'Rainsford Son' (his IKC name), DOB & DOD, and, I think (it's lashing rain and 10:46pm, so I'm not going out to check!),
a phrase like "Loyal Friend".

But all the country houses have such areas for the beloved small pets who pass away. But the late John Ault and his lovely widow Penny Treembungroong Ault, really beat all of us in Ireland!

On the grounds of their Chiangmai estate, they have a mound near the front of the house, which is about 2-3 feet above the surrounding lawn; it's where they buried their pet 'rescue elephant'!  Roll Eyes Grin

Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 07:30:15 pm »

Dear Oliver,

Welcome aboard! I'm an new collector from Hong Kong who's been collecting for a year and a half.

As a snuff bottle enthusiast, you've come to the right place. This is a great forum for dynamic discussions on the category and everyone is so helpful and willing to share!

Enjoy your time here!

Best,
Samson

Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 01:38:15 pm »

Guys,

Has anyone heard from Oliver?
Seems he's gone like Kaja.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 03:32:05 pm »

Thanks Joey for checking out those new members!

Some people just come and go, if they love the snuff bottle, I believe that they will come back someday .

We have more than 6 new members joined the Forum during the last two months, Please don't be shy and say hello to other members and introduce yourself.

Happy collecting !

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 05:37:18 pm »

Dear New Collectors,

Please don't be shy. We'd love to hear from you, and answer questions if we are able.
Happy Hanuka & Merry Christmas,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: