About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:29:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Booted by the ICSBS

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Booted by the ICSBS  (Read 3510 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 03:14:57 am »

Hi Luke

Of course fully agree, as in my reply to Joey.  I am hoping that Joey will light some fire and urgency under someone's feet here.   The online version of the journals is something great, but I wish they would make them available under PDF format, so they are more 'viewable' for us older folk  Grin Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Lamlam

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 04:46:19 am »

Hi Luke,

I remember Berthe Ford waded in or it was just Lou Joseph using her email...I am not sure but I did see the name Berthe Ford on the email....not sure what happened.

Honestly, I would love a refund if this cannot be resolved.

Curt
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 05:45:39 am »

Dear Curt, Pat, and anyone else adversely affected by the ICSBS.

I now know that Pat and Curt have not been well served by their membership in the ICSBS.
I'm on the Board, and will contact 'Head Office' to see what is wrong.
I apologise for the SNAFUs (Situation Normal - All F***ed Up).
Best to all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 05:51:08 am »

Dear All,

Have been following this thread, but was travelling, with very limited time for internet, so refrained from participating in any discussions. Anyway, back in Bangkok now. After the stiffling heat of London (34degC and 99% humidity) it's SO good to have fans and air-conditioning again!!!

I was appalled to hear of the shoddy treatment being meted out by the ICSBS. Personally I have been receiving all my journals and other communications in a timely manner, so have no complaints about the Society. But two things have happened which may help explain the poor service. One, Virginia Rensburg has been replaced by Lou Joseph as Society Secretary, and two, the contact email address has recently been switched from Verizon to a new service provider.

Of course, that is no excuse, but perhaps explains the adverse service.

Hopefully Joey can get to the bottom of it.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 06:31:10 am »

Dear All,

I've sent queries, but Lou Joseph doesn't seem to be prompt in answering and Berthe & John have been travelling, I understand.
As soon as I have news, I will post it.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 11:01:19 am »

Hi All

I recently  heard  from  another  ICSBS  committee  member  that the  fault  lies   with the  ICSBS  electronic payment  system  for  membership  subscriptions .

This  committee member told  me that  even his  electronic  payment  was  rejected  so he  finally had to  pay by  bank draft

So much  for the  modern  digital  age   when  it  comes  to  ICSBS   membership !

Antiques  Rule OK?

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 02:09:38 pm »

Peter may well be right.
I just spoke to Berthe, and mentioned Pat's issues, and she promised to assist.
I will contact her again, re.Curt in HK, etc., and do whatever I can to correct issues.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 02:28:27 am »

Hi  Joey,

Thanks for your  help.  Seems  that is  indeed the  problem

(Also the  fact that the  new  ICSBS  secretary  is  not  as    efficient  at answering  emails  as the  previous  one  was)

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 09:12:25 am »

Guys,

I'm writing to report - No progress so far.
I will get after them again.  Hopefully now that the convention is over, they can deal with Curt's complaint and Pat's.
Pat, have you had any satisfaction since I last spoke to Lou Joseph and to Berthe?
Sorry I've not got any progress to report myself.
Best to all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 11:34:03 am »

Hi  Joey

I think  the   ICSBS  has  "lost  it"     - very  sad  to say

I  deliberately    did  not  renew  my subscription  for  2018  but there  was  never an  email  from  Berthe    (or  anyone )  as  to  WHY

In  fact  I was  in  London  at the   exact  time  of the  convention (sharing  an  airbnb  apartment   with some  ICSBS  members)     so  several  ICSBS  members  knew  I was  there    at the  time  ... bur  nairy   a   single  email

So sad....

BTW:  I will  be  visiting  Jerusalem    in  early  march  next    year  (2018)   - any chance  we  can meet ?  Please   reply  (if  you  wish)  by  personal  message

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 12:29:37 am »

I think  the   ICSBS  has  "lost  it"     - very  sad  to say

Peter,

I don't think the ICSBS ever "had it", so there was nothing to "lose".

Sadly, although a member since 1998, I have always felt like an outsider. Of the 600-odd members listed in the directory I suspect that only the conventioneers, who number less than 100, are ever "heard".

Two times during my 19 years questionaires have been sent out to get feedback from the membership. Great potential initiative, and I responded with enthusiasm and plenty of helpful suggestions. I learnt much later from a former board member (who is probably reading this) that absolutely NOTHING was done with the responses. Zilch.

When the Singapore convention was planned around 2002(?), with a side trip to Thailand, I wrote a personal letter to Berthe to offer my services in organizing their excursion. Never had a reply. Many months after the event John Ault told me he had been assigned to arrange it. Fair enough. Until he mentioned that he had promptly handed the task over to a tour operator!

I could go on.......but 'nuff said.

Tom 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:43:25 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Lamlam

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 04:35:58 am »

Dear all,

Lou a couple of months seemed to have resolved my situation and I did get two journals (Spring and Autumn 2017), and a member directory.  Nothing else since.

I tried to navigate the website but gave up promptly.

Curt
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 01:26:36 pm »

Dear Curt,

The winter 2017 issue is not yet out. Presumably you will get it when it comes out.
Are you still a member? You are not in the 2016-2017 membership directory.
If yes, please let me know and I'll get after Lou again.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 01:29:48 pm »

Dear Tom,

You may well be right, that the convention attendees are the primary focus of the 'powers that be'.
We used to get 200-250 a convention. The last one was 81, but that is because London is expensive, and the dollar and Euro are weak.
Usually we have been getting 100-130 to a convention lately.
But all's not lost - the Israel Shekel is quite strong...  Roll Eyes Grin
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Lamlam

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 07:47:17 pm »

Dear Joey,

Yes I think I am a member.  Hopefully my name will appear in the next member directory.

Hope all is well!

Curt
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 02:17:28 pm »

Dear Curt,

Thank G-D, I have had the problems taken care of, which had forced me to cut short my HK stay and cancel my Bangkok, Singapore and London visits in Nov./Dec.2016.
However, I had my email hacked in late Mar.2017, and can't access the emails.
Could you please send me your email address via personal message?
Thanks. Regards to Karen and the boys,
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 08:10:31 pm »

We used to get 200-250 a convention. The last one was 81, but that is because London is expensive, and the dollar and Euro are weak.
Usually we have been getting 100-130 to a convention lately.

Dear Joey,

I am in awe that so many people used to attend the conventions. I presume those numbers include spouses, children and other non-members.
    Was that before 1998? Because I have read the reviews of every convention since that year, and cannot recall there ever being so many attendees mentioned.
    Anyhow, assuming you are right, the ICSBS Board seriously needs to ask itself why the numbers have dropped from 200-250 down to 80-100.

Best,
Tom 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:12:21 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 10:24:37 pm »

...the ICSBS Board seriously needs to ask itself why the numbers have dropped from 200-250 down to 80-100.

Tom,

The drop in convention attendance is proportional.  The membership totals have been dropping over the last two decades as well. 

This is something that has occurred with every association I belong to.  No explanation as why, other than maybe our lives are getting to busy or maybe because of technology.  Information is quickly accessible and the satisfaction of belonging can be accomplished via the web and other social media.

Charll   
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 11:07:57 pm »

Charll,

That's a valid point. I belong to the Siam Society whose older members are sadly dying off, and not being replaced by new young members. A question I often ask at the AGMs is: What is the elected council doing to attract younger members? Sadly, the answer is 'very little.' They serve up the same programs, lecture series and study trips each year. No real interest or effort to re-image the society for the younger generation, or accommodate members with young families.

Without new blood the society is simply aging....and fading.

Could it be that the ICSBS is heading the same way?

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 08:15:04 am »

Hi  All

Someone  wrote :   "The last   (London Convention)  was 81 , but that is because London is expensive, and the dollar and Euro are weak"

It's true  that  London is  relatively  expensive  but it's  absolutely  untrue to  say that  "the dollar and Euro are weak."

In fact, what has  happened  since  Brexit  is  that the UK  pound has  dropped  in value  by  almost  20%  vs  both  the  Euro and the  US$ !    

(Check  it  if you  don't believe  me)

I and my  wife   happened  to  stay  in  London  at exactly the  same  time as  the  recent  London   ICSBS convention together  with another  couple  who attended the  convention.  We  booked  an  airbnb apartment  at   Charing  Cross  - right  in the  very heart of  London  (and just a  stone's throw  away from the  London  hotel  where  the   convention  was  held)

We we  paid  only GBP310 per  night  total   for  a   HUGE  luxurious 2 x  bedroom/ 2 x  bathroom   newly decorated apartment  complete with HUGE  500  sq  ft  lounge  and  fully fitted  kitchen + washing machine and   dishwasher.

It was  the   equivalent  of  a  2 x bedroom  "president's  suite"   in  a  5- star  hotel - pristine condition and  we could  even cook   for ourselves  (in   fact we often  did)    Smiley

That  worked  out  at   GBP155  (=  US$200)  per  night  per  couple  =  US$ 100 per person per head

I  also  heard  on the  grapevine  that   several  other  convention  participants  found their  own accommodation  privately

Cheers

Peter

PS:  I think the real  reason that membership  is  dropping  fast  is  the  same  reason  why  no-one  from the  ICSBS  ever   wrote to me   to ask  why  I    quietly  left the  society (by virtue of  simply  not renewing  my subscription)
My case  rests  m'lud.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:20:40 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: