About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 10:09:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Booted by the ICSBS

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Booted by the ICSBS  (Read 3586 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 08:15:04 am »

Hi  All

Someone  wrote :   "The last   (London Convention)  was 81 , but that is because London is expensive, and the dollar and Euro are weak"

It's true  that  London is  relatively  expensive  but it's  absolutely  untrue to  say that  "the dollar and Euro are weak."

In fact, what has  happened  since  Brexit  is  that the UK  pound has  dropped  in value  by  almost  20%  vs  both  the  Euro and the  US$ !    

(Check  it  if you  don't believe  me)

I and my  wife   happened  to  stay  in  London  at exactly the  same  time as  the  recent  London   ICSBS convention together  with another  couple  who attended the  convention.  We  booked  an  airbnb apartment  at   Charing  Cross  - right  in the  very heart of  London  (and just a  stone's throw  away from the  London  hotel  where  the   convention  was  held)

We we  paid  only GBP310 per  night  total   for  a   HUGE  luxurious 2 x  bedroom/ 2 x  bathroom   newly decorated apartment  complete with HUGE  500  sq  ft  lounge  and  fully fitted  kitchen + washing machine and   dishwasher.

It was  the   equivalent  of  a  2 x bedroom  "president's  suite"   in  a  5- star  hotel - pristine condition and  we could  even cook   for ourselves  (in   fact we often  did)    Smiley

That  worked  out  at   GBP155  (=  US$200)  per  night  per  couple  =  US$ 100 per person per head

I  also  heard  on the  grapevine  that   several  other  convention  participants  found their  own accommodation  privately

Cheers

Peter

PS:  I think the real  reason that membership  is  dropping  fast  is  the  same  reason  why  no-one  from the  ICSBS  ever   wrote to me   to ask  why  I    quietly  left the  society (by virtue of  simply  not renewing  my subscription)
My case  rests  m'lud.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:20:40 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: