About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 09:51:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

My Third Attempt...

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Third Attempt...  (Read 619 times)
guest615
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:16:18 pm »

Hello everyone,

Below is my third attempt at trying to add an unusual SB to my personal "collection", but I believe I've failed this time around.  Embarrassed   

I love the color (pale-blue) and the fact that it is a bit different than what I'm use to seeing. The stone (jade) is quite translucent, neck and stopper are threaded. It's a very nice bottle in my opinion, but I don't believe this is as old as the seller described (early-20th C.).

The forums thoughts, if any?

Regards,
Jo

P.S. I do apologize about the poor images. It's quite hard to take good, clear pictures of this piece do to the glare and color. I'll try to get better images in the morning

* PALE BLUE JADE BOTTLE 001.JPG (159.94 KB, 752x800 - viewed 63 times.)

* PALE BLUE JADE BOTTLE 002.JPG (120.5 KB, 740x800 - viewed 49 times.)

* PALE BLUE JADE BOTTLE 003.JPG (53.75 KB, 485x800 - viewed 34 times.)

* PALE BLUE JADE BOTTLE 004.JPG (151.38 KB, 800x693 - viewed 48 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 06:22:06 pm »

Hi Jo

It's a beautiful bottle and love the color but my'gut' first reaction tells me it is new ...and we all know that gut reactions are often as wrong as they are right ...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:33:32 pm »

Pat,

I had the same gut reaction - a nice object, but totally modern, and thus not made as a snuff bottle (to hold snuff), but as an object to sell to collectors.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

guest615
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 09:06:41 pm »

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

Oh, darn!

I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

I'll keep trying and hopefully the next time I'll have something more interesting (and old) to post.

Thank you both for your honest replies.

Kind regards
Jo
Report Spam   Logged
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:10:14 am »

Dear Jo,

Have you decided WHAT you want to collect?
I don't mean whether or not snuff bottles.
I mean between:
A. 'real' snuff bottles, those made for use by snuff takers in China, during the classical snuff taking period (ca.1600-1930), including IPSBs from same period (Early & Middle, ca.1795-1930); or
B. modern bottles, which look like snuff bottles, but which were never intended to hold snuff.

Incidentally, I consider Modern Period IPSBs (Inside/Interior Painted Snuff Bottle) to really be another medium of Chinese Painting/Calligraphy, like silk or rice paper, etc., since they were NOT meant to hold snuff.  And I consider the 'S' in 'IPSB' to stand for 'small'...   Grin

If you are interested in 'A.', you need to study FIRST, and buy SECOND. You must educate yourselves (I think you mentioned that you collect with your husband?), to identify genuine old (pre-1930) snuff bottles, and try to study documented  genuine examples (at museums and from recognised dealers.

There are serious dealers in LA, NYC, London, HK, etc., and you will be amazed at how eager they are to show bottles, WITHOUT doing HARDSELL (Anyone trying to give you a 'hard sell', is not to be trusted. And in NYC, those places full of fancy looking stuff with snuff bottles prominently displayed, and signs saying "AT GREAT DISCOUNTS", avoid like the plague!

And you must buy the literature, and look at the illustrations carefully, and try to train your 'eye'.

When you do start to buy seriously (and I DON'T mean seriously high prices, but seriously with knowledge), try to acquire examples with provenance before 1980 (the accepted date after which people really started faking, as opposed to making, snuff bottles.).

You have to spend something in order to get a collection: You can spend seriously but intelligently, by buying ONLY from serious dealers (buying hundreds of bottles on eBAY from other people who themselves are as ignorant as you yourselves presently are on the subject, is simply a recipe for throwing away your money; if you just want to do that, better to give it to charity).
  OR, you can spend your time, LEARNING. And then you can spend get more bang for your buck

OR, If you just like the look of a collection or the objects, but don't want to invest the time or money, just collect the stuff which appeals to you, and don't worry about it.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

vdawg4

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 08:02:32 am »

Good advice Joey, Thanks.  Me? I am fully aware that as a new collector I am not going to get a lot of Qing Dynasty bottles.  While I am sure that from 1644 to 1911 a lot of bottles were produced, ( I was unable to find an estimate) most are in private collections or museums.  Only becoming available when sold with estates and at some pretty high prices.  So I am perfectly happy sifting through hundreds of bottles online searching for  vintage high quality bottles.  Some of these brand new bottles from China have some merit and many go for up to about 150.00 vs. some going for a couple of dollars. Best regards, Vernon
Report Spam   Logged
Jungle Jas

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 01:59:55 pm »

I to agree with Joey completely and I also believe it to be new, but a very nice bottle nonetheless. Enjoy, but be carful how much you spend if you are not sure of the age! Wink

Regards Jason.   
Report Spam   Logged
albert

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 07:52:55 am »

I'm seeing that the SB has the cap screwed ?? I have seen this type of stopper in modern jade jewelry in many places in the world.
Anyway, it's a very nice object!

Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: