About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 17, 2024, 11:17:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Macaroni Agate Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Macaroni Agate Bottle  (Read 593 times)
vdawg4

« on: February 21, 2019, 11:46:45 am »

Hello Community,  I recently purchased this on the cheap at auction in w palm Beach Florida (30.00 ). It was described as possible pudding stone.  Upon doing some research I at first thought it was a writing stone?? Not sure about name but it originates in Himalayan mountains and and has fossils, looks similar. Then I find several examples that look exactly like mine described as Macaroni Agate. But looking at early examples of Macaroni Agate on Pinterest shows quite a different bottle. My questions are is this Macaroni Agate?  Approximately how old?  Any information on what it is and how formed?  Is there a market for this type of bottle?  I appreciate any input. Thank you in advance, Vernon

* IMG_20190221_121841-600x800.jpg (156.45 KB, 600x800 - viewed 44 times.)

* IMG_20190221_122045-800x600.jpg (156.09 KB, 800x600 - viewed 44 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:50:05 pm »

The pictures are a little out of focus, but yes.., I do see some macaroni action going on there Smiley

It was carved from a chunk of agate rough.  Not old though.. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 04:44:10 am »

I agree with George...
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

vdawg4

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 07:37:48 am »

Ok, but my understanding of agate was that is is the most translucent of the quartz?  This bottle is not translucent. Perhaps I am wrong.. Thanks!
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 11:42:43 am »

Ok, but my understanding of agate was that is is the most translucent of the quartz?  This bottle is not translucent. Perhaps I am wrong.. Thanks!

Agate, like jasper will have varying amounts of quartz.  Any translucence is due to large amounts of quartz/silica/chalcedony. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Jungle Jas

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 01:49:20 pm »

I am no expert but that does not look like Macaroni agate to me. More like some form of fossilised material I have seen this type of stone before when in Hong Kong and was always described as a fossil. I believe it is densely packed broken shells.

Regards Jason.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:17:56 am by Jungle Jas » Report Spam   Logged
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 04:59:24 pm »

It doesn't look like a standard macaroni agate as per examples in catalogues etc but there seem to be some macaroni like strands mixed in there.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:49:53 pm »

Guys,

To me it looks like a kind of puddingstone, and I think there was one like it in the Bob Stevens collection.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: