About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:56:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

‘Old Moon Pavilion’ Marked Stoneware & Molded Porcelain Snuff Bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Old Moon Pavilion’ Marked Stoneware & Molded Porcelain Snuff Bottle  (Read 13819 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 10:20:46 am »

Thought I would add a bottle of mine to this topic.

Obviously no splashes of enamel colour, just the same cracked base glaze and very similar to a bottle George posted which he links to in this thread but with an Old Moon Pavilion mark which his lacked. It does have the indent around the opening.

These are clearly not related to the real Old Moon Pavilion wares in any way so it questions why they choose to use this mark on these types of bottles. You can understand it on the modern enamel on glass bottles which try, with varying degrees of success, to emulate the originals.

Mine has an export seal on it which was put on items made before 1949 but it was rare for the items to have much age so anything 19th Century was unlikely which fits with these types of bottles being made up to the first half of the 20th Century.

Regards, Adrian.

* P4070549.jpg (98.95 KB, 850x638 - viewed 25 times.)

* P4070548.jpg (99.02 KB, 680x850 - viewed 28 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 11:34:15 am »

Adrian,

I do like the glaze on both yours and George's bottles.

Joey,

All is not lost with this bottle from Mr. Quon.  Because I chose this bottle from part of my mother's collection, I also received a still life oil painting of it with a vase of flowers, which my great grandmother painted.  (My sister absconded with the painting and I need to get it back...) She took up painting at age 72, and a few of her surviving paintings included flowers with some of her snuff bottles.  So, for me, this is one of the most cherished in my collection.  As best I can tell, there were 3 or 4 which came from him, and if I'm able to photograph them from other collections, I'll post later, as it'll be interesting to get forum feedback.

Cheers,

Rheuben.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: