About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 03:15:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Teasing the Crane in the Tang Collection?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Teasing the Crane in the Tang Collection?  (Read 4648 times)
cshapiro

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 07:56:10 pm »

Dear Joey,

Oh my gosh!!!
When I first laid eyes on it, my heart skipped a beat.. I swear!
And it just skipped another beat when I read your post.

I don't think I will be able to breath until Steven looks at it!!!

Update:
I'm still alive... barely.
I just went and looked up your bottle and it is magnificent! You just bought it three months ago! Congratulations!!!

The more I think about it... it's a hard pill to swallow to think that there are two bottles with the exact theme and message. There are only a couple of scenarios I can think of where he would copy a bottle, one would be that a person admired the original bottle so much they requested a copy, or maybe he liked the theme and wanted to repeat it.

On this bottle it strikes me that he must have been low on white paint because he used a flesh tone for the boys face and repeated that on the wall and the swan, whereas on the other one he used white on the face, the wall, and the swan.  That appears to be the only difference I can see between the two bottles.

The reds might appear to be off from the photographs, but when I put this bottle in the sunlight the red has that same orange tone.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 03:26:32 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: