About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:32:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Teasing the Crane in the Tang Collection?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Teasing the Crane in the Tang Collection?  (Read 4498 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: June 07, 2017, 07:40:59 pm »

Dear George,

I agree with Steven, but do not understand your reference to "Japanese fakes". What connection has Japan to fake IPSBs?

There was no tradition of Japanese IP work.
I can understand Japanese copying (I would not use the term faking) Chinese Imperial Palace Workshops and other  Ivory SBs, or Cinnabar Lacquer SBs (though the Cinnabars I've seen are all obviously Japanese, and usually BETTER than the Chinese examples), or Embellished wares (with the same 2 conditions as the previous example); but not IPSBs.
Best,
Joey

This is a quote from an archived posting and a member who is no longer here.. Not on the public forum..

I was incorrect in remembering being Japanese fakes, it was about fakers related to a Japanese collection.  Sorry about that..

Quote:

"The glass bottle in the Tang Collection is of an atypical form for a Beijing School bottle. It is slightly more flared at the sides, and the foot lacks the separation from the line of the body typical of earlier glass blanks for painting. The Tang example appears to have been produced by the same fakers as those in the Japanese collection discussed under Sale 3, lot 104. The Zhirou Zhai Collection, from which the Bloch bottle comes, was formed in Hong Kong, mostly from local dealers as the source, in the years prior to 1993".
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: