About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 07:17:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Gallerie Zacke auction

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gallerie Zacke auction  (Read 1619 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 04:29:57 am »

Dear Adrian,
three years ago at a local auction here in Italy, there was a single lot made by six modern, fancy, horrible bottles. It was listed at 250 euro and was not sold.
One year later, the same lot, at the same auction house, was listed at 150 euro and it was sold for more than 3,000! It all depends on the day.
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 08:28:12 am »

Hi Adrian,

Thank's for the information. I did like them, but due to other obligations, I didn't follow the auction.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

cshapiro

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 11:45:24 am »

I'm too mean to bid too much on anything and any pure snuff bottle auction like this gets serious buyers and serious prices.

Hahaha!

Yes Adrian, as the numbers escalated at that auction, I kept reminding myself that this was full retail - and without the benefit of a really big name like Christie's, Sotheby's or Bonhams. I imagine the buyers of the big ticket items will have to hold on to the bottles for many years to be able to see a return on their investment.

The exception would be the Ma Shaoxuan bottles - IMO they went for a bargain.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:47:30 am by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 01:11:41 am »

The exception would be the Ma Shaoxuan bottles - IMO they went for a bargain.

Cathy, one has to be careful here with these Ma Shaoxuan's, particularly assessing them over the internet.  Though the auction house infers a good provenance, it simply states "signed Ma Shaoxuan" or the characters are  translated as Ma Shaoxuan.   It does not state they are Ma Shaoxuan bottles or by Ma Shaoxuan. 

It is a fact there are a number of Ma Shaoxuan copies out there in the snuff bottle world, and I suspected these were copies upon my viewing of the catalog and auction photo's.  That would explain the low prices, and possible a non-payment or return of the bottles from the previous auction due to over representation of what they were.  Just a hunch!

Charll   
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 11:22:23 am »

Charll your hunch seems on target to me!

I did notice that Bottle 56 did not sell.  It was noted as being a Guyue Xuan Bottle.  I have always been attracted to these bottles and I did not see the typical Guyue Xuan Mark on this bottle. This is the glass enameled peacock bottle with the peach mark on the base. I am just curious as to how one would determine it is Guyue Xuan with no mark?
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 02:53:18 pm »

Jo,
   I think they used 'Guyuexuan' as a name for enameled glass. The bottle sounds modern, though I did not even look at the catalogue, so I probably shouldn't say that.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 03:11:48 pm »

Thanks Joey.  I was thinking of Guyue xuan (Ancient Moon Pavilion).  These were the bottles that I thought were lovely with many having the foot inscribed in iron-red regular script.  The catalog gave a possible dating of 1770 to 1840.  Perhaps it is modern and that might be the reason it did not sell.   
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 03:34:31 pm »

Hi Jo,

As far as I know all the lots sold and Zacke's site claims all lots were sold.

Lot 56 went for 5,000.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 03:47:52 pm »

I will have to take a look again Wink, I thought that was one that was skipped.  It appeared several did not sell from the list I saw.  Thank You! 
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 04:35:50 pm »

Dear Jo,

Guyuexuan, Guyue xuan, and Gu Yue Xuan, in Hanyu Pinyin; or Ku Yueh Hsuan, in Wade-Giles; are all the same. And all can be translated as 'Old Moon Pavilion'. And all properly refer to a personal Pavilion set up by the Qianlong Emperor for his later years and retirement, and to the wares made for that pavilion, as well.

The argument is made that any objects with the genuine Guyuexuan mark were for his use or use of those in his pavilion. At one of the lectures in the last few years, the lecturer stated that the name Guyuexuan was so well known, that the Qianlong Emperor gave out many marked wares as gifts. I think it was  that boring Chinese lecturer who had done a superb job of finding references to snuff bottles in Imperial records, and done a very good job translating; but his presentation was dreadful!

He spoke in Hong Kong in 2014, where Josephine Sin and June Hui were openly yawning and talking in the front row during the lecture! At least when I exchanged two words with Clare during a lecture in Chicago, we were near the back, and pretty quiet; though if I'd known his wife was in the row ahead of me, I might not have said anything at all. Me bad. Shocked Roll Eyes Embarrassed

But some dealers, auctions, etc., use it as a catch-all name for enameled glass wares, or at least enameled glass snuff bottles.
Best,
Joey

Thanks Joey.  I was thinking of Guyue xuan (Ancient Moon Pavilion).  These were the bottles that I thought were lovely with many having the foot inscribed in iron-red regular script.  The catalog gave a possible dating of 1770 to 1840.  Perhaps it is modern and that might be the reason it did not sell.   
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: