About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:25:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Well, I Tried...

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I Tried...  (Read 735 times)
guest615
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:13:19 am »

I was inspired by this category a couple of weeks ago when I first joined this forum. With all due respect to the collectors of these IP bottles, I never really thought much about them. Not because I didn't like them or didn't think they were beautiful works of Fine Art, I just frankly couldn't tell the difference between the good, bad and/or ugly (authentic/old/fake/new/etc.)

After reading a few threads within this category, I decided to take a leap-of-faith and got out and see if I could purchase a "good" one. Well, I tried and it appears as if I failed in my attempt.  Embarrassed

Without further ado, I present to you my first, my last and in noway...my everything.

Regards,
Jo

P.S. any thoughts on the on who the artist might be and/or date of this piece?

* INSIDE PAINTED 001-001.JPG (86.21 KB, 600x800 - viewed 39 times.)

* INSIDE PAINTED 002-001.JPG (124.16 KB, 600x800 - viewed 47 times.)

* INSIDE PAINTED 003-001.JPG (110.02 KB, 600x800 - viewed 54 times.)

* INSIDE PAINTED 005-001.JPG (140.96 KB, 800x398 - viewed 44 times.)

* INSIDE PAINTED 006-001.JPG (237.06 KB, 800x768 - viewed 40 times.)

* INSIDE PAINTED 008-001.JPG (171.49 KB, 800x486 - viewed 43 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 07:49:34 am »

Hi Jo,

Welcome to the forum!

I was recently on Bill Patrick's site and am wondering if it's not an example from the Peach River Studios  from the 1970's?

Cheers,

Rheuben.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 08:17:40 am »

As Rheuben pointed out, it is indeed Peach River Studio / Swatow : Ge Lang bottle..

Steven shared some great information for these here.. http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,754.msg5251.html#msg5251

The link to Bill's site is here Jo.. http://snuffbottlecollector.com/_antique/peach_river/peach_river_0.htm

For what it is worth, a very nice landscape painting jo !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
guest615
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:03:48 am »

Awesome!

Thank you both for your time and help, most appreciated!

George, that's one of the main reasons why I purchased/liked this piece.......the landscape painting!

It has a Claude Monet-like, Impressionistic feel to it.....to my eye any way. Also, having the original box and label adhered I thought was a bonus.

Still, I don't believe I'll be making many more "leaps-of-faith" anytime soon in respects to purchasing these IP bottles. Just too much for me to handle/learn at the moment.

Again, thank you both!

Kind regards,
Jo   
Report Spam   Logged
cshapiro

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:31:17 pm »

Dear Jo,

Welcome to the forum. I will have been collecting one year next month, and have bought some real bombs. Its just part of the learning process. I learn more from my mistakes than my victories, which makes me less likely to repeat them. 

I hope you buy some books - a great starting place is Lilla Perry's book - which you can pick up used for $6.65 - about the same price as a Mocha Frappuccino from Starbucks and much more satisfying. https://www.amazon.com/Chinese-snuff-bottles-Lilla-Perry/dp/B0007DO1LO

Wink
Cathy

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
guest615
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 05:48:57 pm »

Dear Cathy,

Thank you and thanks for the book's link, I will be purchasing and adding to our reference library.

But to be totally honest, I'm not a legitimate SB collector as I'm sure you all are. The one posted within this thread is only the second I'll be adding to my correct gatherings of Small Treasures. The first can be seen in the image below at top right. I like to collect (and some I have re-sold keeping the theme of honesty going) what I term, Unique & Rare Small Treasures. The ones below stretch from Asia to America and beyond. There's really not much of a rhyme or reason, style or form to our (my husband and I) collecting, we're some times all over the place, but for the most part, love smalls.

Thanks again for the link,
Jo

* SMALL TREASURES 001.jpg (186.02 KB, 793x800 - viewed 31 times.)

* SMALL TREASURES 002.jpg (93.11 KB, 800x600 - viewed 34 times.)

* SMALL TREASURES 003.jpg (119.08 KB, 800x561 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 09:30:34 pm »

Jo,

Based on the bottle and the small trinkets it appears to be you have a good eye (...and good taste as well) and can stir away from junk.  If this is your beginnings, it is not bad at all.

Yes indeed your bottle is a "Peach River Studio" bottle from the 1970's.  I collect these and my first snuff bottle purchase back in 1979 was a Peach River bottle.  I've seen a lot of these over the years and tend to break them out in to arbitrary grades of 1) Tourist Crap, 2) Collectible Tourist Grade, 3) Mid-Grade Collector piece, 4) High Grade IPB, and 5) Very High Grade Artistic IPB,  This Peach River IPB I would say is a mid-grade bottle. 

Charll

Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

bokaba

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 02:52:59 pm »

Hi Jo,

Peach River Studio is a good starting point. I like many of their bottles a lot. Yours is probably mid to lower level in quality for PRS, but I like that you have the box and stand. Some people try to sell them for thousands of dollars, but I don't think they've had many takers yet.

Here is my PRS bottle with cranes and pine trees (auspicious symbols of longevity).

Best,

Brian

Report Spam   Logged

Brian
guest615
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 09:24:03 am »

Charll,

Thanks for the kind comments and thanks so much for the grade evaluation, most appreciated!

@Brain,

Very nice piece and I'm jealous your bottle and many others I've seen have the original stopper, mine doesn't!  Sad

Stupid question: does anyone have an "extra" stopper or know where I can obtain an original/of the period stopper for my bottle?
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 09:40:40 am »

does anyone have an "extra" stopper or know where I can obtain an original/of the period stopper for my bottle?

I do not Brian...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
bokaba

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 02:59:29 pm »

May want to try to get in contact with these folks:

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3550.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

Brian
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards