About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 07:19:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

My second jet bottle!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My second jet bottle!  (Read 1292 times)
cshapiro

« on: May 26, 2017, 12:42:48 am »

Thanks! Yes, Charll did mention the two types - lots of wisdom here!
Thanks for the reference to the previous post George.

The book I referenced was published in 1922 and it is fascinating that jet can have so many different properties - from inclusions like silica and pyrite, to various luster from dull to shiny, and even the specific gravity can vary quite a bit depending on where it was mined and how pure it is. Whitby, England has some of the finest specimens and allegedly has been traded far and wide since the second millenium BCE (1000-1999) (see Archaeomineralogy By George R. Rapp).

Jet is formed from pieces of wood that did not go through the peat process and so were not coalified, but underwent decomposition and retained their cellular structure.

So it wouldn't be surprising to find major differences in every single bottle - because we can't know the original source of the material and the Chinese may very well have used many sources over the years.

I bought this bottle from the same gallery I got the other bottle from, so the collector must have favored jet bottles. It's funny to imagine that the previous owner probably went through much the same path of discovery as I am now. It is a shame that their history doesn't follow them. The gallery I bought it from claims it dates to 1850 - but if you wanted to get technical it's really 182 million years old!

It is quite a large bottle - so may have been a table bottle... and yes, I will need to find a large box for it!

Any ideas on the scratched mark on the base?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:12:38 am by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: