About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 01:14:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Metal with jade panels.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal with jade panels.  (Read 734 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: May 17, 2017, 03:30:42 pm »

The second bottle of the two in the lot I purchased.

Described as Mongolian style, the white metal inlaid with rectangular jade panels with cut corners, the shoulders with inlaid jadeite and the domed stopper with jade and turquoise inlay.

As with the last one posted it's more Tibetan and is 64 mm high.

Regards, Adrian.

* P5170567.jpg (124.98 KB, 710x850 - viewed 55 times.)

* P5170568.jpg (104.16 KB, 596x850 - viewed 31 times.)

* P5170569.jpg (112 KB, 850x616 - viewed 38 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 04:21:31 pm »

Outstanding !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:31:25 am »

Thank you again George.

I'm surprised how overlooked these Tibetan bottles can be. There were good prices achieved for other bottles at the auction I got these from (including £2000 for a damaged coral bottle) yet I got my two bottles at below low estimate on a maiden bid.

I'm hoping Tibetan bottles are the sleepers of the snuff bottle world so I might try and corner the market in genuine ones.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 10:26:20 am »

Thank you again George.

I'm surprised how overlooked these Tibetan bottles can be. There were good prices achieved for other bottles at the auction I got these from (including £2000 for a damaged coral bottle) yet I got my two bottles at below low estimate on a maiden bid.

I'm hoping Tibetan bottles are the sleepers of the snuff bottle world so I might try and corner the market in genuine ones.

Regards, Adrian.

You may well be right about being sleepers, and always nice to get a super nice bottle like this at a better than fair price ..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 02:00:37 pm »

Greetings,

Here is a bottle that I believe to be Tibetan?  Enamel on metal, banding jade, with embellished  amethyst stone in the center. It measures 2 3/4" w/o stopper, and sports a nice long silver spoon.
Any help with dating is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Rube.

* FullSizeRender tibetan 1.jpg (80.75 KB, 480x640 - viewed 44 times.)

* FullSizeRender tibetan 2.jpg (68.55 KB, 480x640 - viewed 31 times.)

* FullSizeRender tibetan 3.jpg (93.73 KB, 480x640 - viewed 32 times.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 02:03:05 pm by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 02:57:08 pm »

Dear Rube,

It looks like 2 bi disks were used, with plugs to seal the holes and a metal rim to wrap around the edges and form the bottle.

The bi disks could be 18th or 19th C., but the construction should be post 1965.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 03:22:04 pm »

Joey,

That's fascinating! What were bi disks used for? Am I on the right track thinking it Tibetan?  The metalwork kind of reminds me of the double archers rings bottles posted awhile back, minus the blue leaf enameled stopper.

Cheers,

Rube.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:23:50 pm by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 04:02:44 am »

Dear Rube,

Bi disks started in Neolithic China, and the people left no written records (which is why we call them PRE-historic  Roll Eyes Grin). They are believed to have had 'cultic significance'.

This wonderful term cover all things that archaeologists find, for which they can't figure out a use (the beer strainer is a beer strainer; the butter-making jug is a butter-making jug; that thing you can't figure out, HAS CULTIC SIGNIFICANCE.).  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

They possibly symbolise Heaven, but we don't know. But they can be really cool objects. I have a beautiful one sold me [but in reality a gift, since it's real value was over 10 times what I paid, and he knew it] by the late Y.F. Yang of blessed memory. A superb piece of perfectly milk white Nephrite, and equally superbly carved with archaistic subjects top and bottom: on one side, a stylised pattern of 12 raised 'commas' with curled ends, and 4 raised bosses; on the other, a continuous design of raised bosses covering the whole surface. The piece has a diameter of 53 mm, and is 8 mm thick.

I will bring it to London, and see if Adrian or Luke, who are both thinking of attending the convention, at least in part, can photograph it. Or possibly Jo or David.

I'm not sure about the metalwork. I think it might even be from Hong Kong.
In any event, the metalwork is modern, in my opinion. So actual location of work is less important.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 04:10:28 am »

Dear Adrian,

I went on this thread twice to write you how much I like your bottle with the jade panels,  and twice I got distracted by Rube's bottle. Bi disks have a facination all their own; and Jade ones of obvious age, even more so.

Truth is, I DON'T like your bottle. I LOVE it! I think it is a genuine authentic piece, made when the pieces were available, possibly favourite fondling pieces of the owner, and made into a snuff bottle so he could fondle more than one at one time. Or combine two relaxation modes (snuff and fondling jade) in one object. And believe me, fondling Nephrite Jade can be really relaxing. The soft waxy surface is so pleasing, if not sharply cut. Congratulations! Please bring it to London. I really want to see it.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 07:46:01 am »

Joey,

Thanks so much for describing what a bi disk is, and for placing the metalwork of this bottle.
And to both you, and Adrian, I'm sorry for hijacking this thread!  It's just that when I come across one that seems
somewhat similar in style or subject matter, I feel it better to make connections (or attempt to) instead of just starting a new thread. I hope y'all have fun at the next convention!

And Adrian,

Your's is a really nice bottle!

Cheers,

Rube.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:47:34 am by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 04:20:31 am »

Dear Rube,

I love your bottle. It must be fabulous in person. Good for you!

Regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 02:03:59 pm »

Hi Rube,

I'm with you in posting similar bottles in one thread so I have no feeling that you are hijacking this thread.

Love your bottle, by coincidence there is a similar one that was listed on ebay yesterday.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: