About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 19, 2024, 04:06:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Duan Stone with Fittings Help Please

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Duan Stone with Fittings Help Please  (Read 1826 times)
guest615
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 09:28:45 pm »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, haven't come here for a while and thought to update you all who are/were interested in this Duan Stone bottle.

We researched out to a number of experts in the field of Asian Art for evaluation since first posting this Duan Stone thread. These experts (3 senior curators from a very highly respected UK museum's Asian Art Dept. and the VP of the Asian Art Dept. at one of the Big reputable auction houses) concluded...

Bottle: 18th C. Chinese.

Silver & Gold Metalwork: 19th C. Tibetan.

Damascened Belt-Hook Metalwork: 15th - 17th C. Tibetan.

All 4 experts thought the piece was/is unique and never seen one designed quite like it before with such metalworks,..........but did stress such pieces designed with metalwork often were designed to shield repairs/restoration as mentioned earlier within this thread by another member.

Anyway, just thought to share with you all these updates and to thank you all once again to for your time and help.

Kind regards,
Jo

Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 12:46:39 am »

Hi Jo,

Thank you for sharing the follow up on this unusual bottle. Most interesting!

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 07:44:33 am »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, haven't come here for a while and thought to update you all who are/were interested in this Duan Stone bottle.

Thank you Jo !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 02:26:56 pm »

Dear Jo,

I don't know how I missed this first time you posted, but I really like the bottle  as well as the mounting.
And I agree with the experts' datings.
Wonderful example,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

guest615
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 08:40:01 am »

You all are most welcome and thank you all for your help.

May I ask you all a question(s)?

As many of you know, I'm not a serious collector of SB as I'm sure most of you are judging by your signatures (collecting since: 1970, 1972, etc.).

As serious collectors collecting for so many years, would a bottle as "unique" as mine be attractive to collectors, and would this be something a serious collector would like to add to his/her collection? If so, why? If not, why not?

I mean..... as a newbie, I know why I like it, just wanting to hear you all input. 

Regards,
Jo
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 01:43:32 pm »

Dear Jo,

Depends on the collector. It would appeal to more educated, sophisticated collectors, in my opinion.
     It would have appealed to me, when I collected all materials; now that I am limiting myself to IPSBs, antique and modern; Underglaze B & Ws; and Jades; I wouldn't buy it. No, that is not true either. It would still tempt me, because of its uniqueness.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 07:32:15 pm »

For me it is collectable because of the medium ( duan stone ), especially the calligraphy, and that it was done with iron brush.. The shape, and like Joey, it is just very unique..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
guest615
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 10:21:21 am »

This was a fun topic !

Can I ask to be put on the list if you ever decide to part with it  Wink

Hi George,

You asked if I could place you on the list if I ever decided to part with this piece.....well I'm parting with it.....sadly! Moving on to something else I have much more interest in/want.

If you and others would like an opportunity to purchase this SB, we listed it on eBay. This is the eBay item number: 232502196103

Not sure if the above is within the boards rules? If not, I do apologize and please delete.

Thanks again everyone for your time and help with this SB. Most, most appreciated!

Jo
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 08:14:17 pm »

This was a fun topic !

Can I ask to be put on the list if you ever decide to part with it  Wink

Hi George,

You asked if I could place you on the list if I ever decided to part with this piece.....well I'm parting with it.....sadly! Moving on to something else I have much more interest in/want.

If you and others would like an opportunity to purchase this SB, we listed it on eBay. This is the eBay item number: 232502196103

Not sure if the above is within the boards rules? If not, I do apologize and please delete.

Thanks again everyone for your time and help with this SB. Most, most appreciated!

Jo

Thank you for letting me know Jo !  Sadly, it is quite a ways out of my price range Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 01:22:21 am »

Dear Jo,

How do I access the sale?
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 09:15:39 am »

Joey,

Copy the Ebay Item number in Jo's message above.  Just google 'Ebay' and enter onto the site.  There will be a search box in the top middle of the Ebay page that should say in the box, "search for anything".  Paste or type the number into the search box and click the blue search button just to the right of the search box.

See screenshot below.

Charll

* ebay.1.jpg (124.94 KB, 900x511 - viewed 39 times.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:18:35 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »

Dear Charll,

I did that yesterday, and it did not work. I tried it again, after reading your post, and it worked.

But I don't think it is worth US$3,000. Possibly, I'd pay a third of that.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2017, 09:29:19 pm »

I agree, the price is a little optimistic.
Anyway, good luck Jo - hope the sale meets your expectations.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: