About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 11:54:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Ye Zhongsan Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ye Zhongsan Snuff Bottle  (Read 1102 times)
cshapiro

« on: May 16, 2017, 08:23:29 pm »

Dear Ming,

Mine is dated 1920, and the similarities to your bottle are such that I wouldn't rule out it being by Ye the Elder. If Ye Zhongsan died in 1945 at the age of 77 (as suggested in the Apricot Grove Studio book) then he would have been 65 in 1933 and his work may have suffered from bad eyesight and hands not as steady as in his youth - which could account for the slight differences in the quality of the work. I cannot find reference to when he actually stopped painting but 1933 would have been a difficult time (1937-1949 being the worst where production completely stopped).

Also I had this reference in the notes on my bottle, so wanted to share it with you.
Reference from the Met Museum: http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/view?exhibitionId=%7B85e163c8-e2b5-410e-b4cb-bba05e10fa9b%7D&oid=53459&pkgids=225&pg=0&rpp=100&pos=74&ft=%2A&offset=100
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: