About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:07:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Friday Funday bottles?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Friday Funday bottles?  (Read 540 times)
ileney

« on: May 05, 2017, 02:07:59 pm »

Wasn't there a Friday Funday for silly bottles bought on an impulse? These are mine. Only one is stone, but I can't seem to find where people were posting those so hope you don't mind that I post them together.

The first bottle is made of a stone that is called by a number of different names, one of them elephant skin jasper. I bought it because, even though I like it, I find this stone almost impossible to cut as it is so muddy. I assume they must have stabilized the stone or else that there are some pieces that are more stable than others.

The second bottle was an impulse buy. It looks newish to me. I just thought it was fun that it had so many openings (though it is a disgrace compared to the much better made bottles typically posted here.) I hope you don't mind that I posted it.

* IMG_6284.jpg (101.05 KB, 480x640 - viewed 40 times.)

* IMG_6287.jpg (109.12 KB, 480x640 - viewed 36 times.)

* IMG_6289.JPG (68.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 27 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 05:55:17 pm »

The first bottle is made of a stone that is called by a number of different names, one of them elephant skin jasper. I bought it because, even though I like it, I find this stone almost impossible to cut as it is so muddy. I assume they must have stabilized the stone or else that there are some pieces that are more stable than others.

Maybe I missed this since you have been a member here, but are you a lapidary, and tried cutting this type of material before ?

Interesting that it is muddy when cut..  When I use to cut into stabilized turquoise, I do not recall it being muddy..

I think it may be more similar to different imitation materials used for countertops...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 10:38:44 pm »

Dear Ilene,

I like the stone bottle, but not the second one.
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 10:49:54 pm »

Hi Ilene,

I too like the first bottle. It looks like fossiliferous limestone, but then jasper has so many guises.

I do not see any openings on the second bottle(s). Are you meaning piercework? Or some other type of openwork?

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 01:52:30 am »

Hi Ilene,

I thought the first one looked like a sort of reconstituted stone but having looked up Elephant skin Jasper I can see that is what it is. There were numerous pieces when I looked that had been carved so it must be fairly stable.

The second bottle is new but different in being four joined bottles so perfect Friday Fun Bottle material. The thread is in the Lounge if you have any more to add on another Friday.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 08:56:12 am »

Dear Tom,

I believe Ilene is referring to the stopper openings (the multiple bottle 'mouths') ...  Grin
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Hi Ilene,

I too like the first bottle. It looks like fossiliferous limestone, but then jasper has so many guises.

I do not see any openings on the second bottle(s). Are you meaning piercework? Or some other type of openwork?

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

ileney

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 09:29:33 am »

Maybe I missed this since you have been a member here, but are you a lapidary, and tried cutting this type of material before ?

Interesting that it is muddy when cut..  When I use to cut into stabilized turquoise, I do not recall it being muddy..

Yes, I enjoy cutting stones. I rarely knowingly buy stabilized material (not even turquoise) as I prefer stones that are naturally stable (and yes, that gets pricey for turquoise). I assume this material must routinely be stabilized somehow (opticon?) as it really is just so muddy naturally, unless it, like turquoise, comes in different grades. I hadn't seen it carved before, just in slabs and cabs.

As for the second bottle, I confess that Joey is right and I was referring to the stopper openings.
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:49:18 am »

Yes, I enjoy cutting stones. I rarely knowingly buy stabilized material (not even turquoise) as I prefer stones that are naturally stable (and yes, that gets pricey for turquoise). I assume this material must routinely be stabilized somehow (opticon?) as it really is just so muddy naturally, unless it, like turquoise, comes in different grades. I hadn't seen it carved before, just in slabs and cabs.

I have only used opticon as a sealer for porous material.. Mostly tiger eye types..

Do you do more than cut ?  Maybe some cabbing ?
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
ileney

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 11:45:37 am »

Yes, I meant I do cabbing on a diamond pacific pixie and am just starting to do a small bit of carving with a flexshaft.  Most of the snuff bottles I bought were carved out of stone and I liked them for that reason (or else they were very inexpensive and I bought them to turn into beads/pendants in making a "treasure" necklace).
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 10:46:41 pm »

As for the second bottle, I confess that Joey is right and I was referring to the stopper openings.

Thanks for the clarification. It had me puzzled.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: