About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:39:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Puddingstone/Conglomerate Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Puddingstone/Conglomerate Bottles  (Read 412 times)
cshapiro

« on: April 29, 2017, 06:47:35 pm »

Hey there!

Looks like it's been pretty quiet on the board.
Hope to start a discussion about puddingstone bottles. I have read the other posts with great interest. The thing that intrigues me the most is that it appears some members can tell if a puddingstone bottle is old by the matrix of the stone.

I have two conglomerate bottles.  The first one shown really feels "right" to me - it's well hollowed, has a beautiful matrix, it has a concave base, although the neck is pretty short. It measures 5cm tall

On the second one I'm not so sure. The shape seems wrong and it's not well hollowed - although the matrix is very pleasing. It is 5.3cm tall

So I would welcome your opinions.

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 01:54:33 am »

Lovely bottle Cathy... I think your hunch is correct about not seeming correct for an older bottle.. Looks fairly new to me..

Still, very nice conglomerate example and congratulations !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 06:03:12 am »

Cathy,

I like your puddingstone bottles and I, too, would like to learn clues to their dating.
Does the first bottle have a tiger eye stopper? Or is it also puddingstone?
If mine weren't all wrapped up in storage, I'd post one too, though I suspect mine is
modern because the stopper is the same material as the bottle.

Cheers,

Rheuben.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

cshapiro

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 10:21:17 am »

Thanks George and Rheuben!

Yes Rheuben, good eye! The first one has a tiger eye stopper. I suspect the first one might be old, and the second one modern. The matrix on the first one looks similar to the matrix on #612 in Bob Stevens book. However the matrix on the second one looks similar to #618 in his book.

It's only that the second bottle is not very well hollowed that makes me think it might not be old. So I wanted to discuss the matrix on these bottles a little more so I know what to look for.

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
albert

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:58:53 pm »

I can not see if they are old or not, and I'm thinking that is very difficult to know it with the matrix; in the other hand the first bottle are really beatiful, but the carving parts of the second are not very well done.

Thanks for sharing!
Report Spam   Logged
cshapiro

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:07:55 pm »

Thanks Albert!
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: