About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 09:03:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Middle period double bottle.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Middle period double bottle.  (Read 557 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: April 29, 2017, 03:43:42 am »

This is one of a group of four bottles I bought recently.

Looking on Bills site there are a number of the same bottles he dates between 1890 and 1905, many with similar themes.

The date seems to be i-wei, 1895, and there is a Zhong as part of the signature but I can't make out the other parts.

Height is 52 mm.

Another one of the four bottles is an Ip'd brown glass bottle of rounded shape which is again similar to a number on Bills site, none dated or signed. Might add pictures later.

Regards, Adrian.

* P4280557.jpg (116.83 KB, 658x850 - viewed 38 times.)

* P4280558.jpg (120.88 KB, 706x850 - viewed 36 times.)

* P4280559.jpg (99.84 KB, 572x850 - viewed 31 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 03:58:51 am »

Love the bottle Adrian...

Not sure who Zhong might be...

Congratulations !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:02:43 am »

Hi Adrian

It's says.... 仲冬, middle of winter

Nice bottle......

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 05:50:06 am »

Adrian,

That's a neat bottle!  I like the expressive brushstrokes representing reeds behind the duck, and the fact that there are two different colored stoppers.

Cheers,

Rheuben.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 10:28:18 am »

Thanks for the comments and thanks for the translation Pin.

I had assumed it was a signature when I saw the first symbol was Zhong, I wasn't aware of there being other interpretations of a symbol.

Regards, Adrian.

Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 02:30:32 am »

I was looking on Bills site and saw a very similar style of painting in a bottle given as by Shi Yi Chou Zhong.

Shi Yi seems to be an artist, would Chou Zhong be an artist as it fits with the Zhong character that I identified.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 08:19:41 am »

Dear Adrian,

The character 'Zhong' means 'middle'.
Thus, 'Zhong Guo', means "[The] Middle Kingdom" (China).
If we take the name 'Ye Zhongsan', 'Ye' is the surname, while 'Zhongsan' literally means
"Third Middle [Son]".
Have you ever seen the old "Charlie Chan" mystery programs? Among the characters was "Number One Son", etc.

Also, Chinese is a very old, and very complex language. One example is that there are so many styles of calligraphy.

By comparison, Hebrew is as old if not older (ca.3200-3400 years old), but we have Ancient Hebrew script, also called 'proto-Canaanite' (but 'Canaanite' never developed as a language; the script was adopted by us and by the Philistines, and then became the basis for all the Western alphabetic languages, such as Greek, Latin, etc.; but how can one have a 'proto-' without the object it is 'proto' to?).

'Modern' Hebrew in 'Assyrian Square Script', was adopted when we were vassals of the Assyrian Empire, ca.750-700 BCE (or over 2700 years ago! How's that for 'new'?!).

Until the late 2nd Temple Period (Our 2nd Temple  was destroyed by the Romans in 70 CE, 1950 years ago [But don't worry, dear Giovanni; I don't hold it personally against you!  Shocked Cheesy], the old script was still used, but only to write the Tetragrammaton (the four letter name of G-D, mispronounced by the Witnesses as 'Jehovah'  Roll Eyes Grin), on scrolls otherwise written in the 'new' script. So, essentially, it was replaced by the Assyrian square script at least 2500 years ago. But see: only 2 scripts.

Chinese has a number of styles of Zhuanshu (Archaic script), as well as Kaishu ('Standard' script), Lishu (Clerical script, mainly used for monumental inscriptions), Caoshu (Running, or Grass script, used mainly for artistic compositions such as poetry, prose and calligraphic work),  Xingshu (sorry, I don't know how to translate this one. Me bad. Shocked Roll Eyes ), and Xingkaishu (a combination of Kaishu and Xingshu, but see above. I don't know how to describe this one either.).
A MUCH more complex language than Hebrew, and there are layers and layers of complexity and meaning IN the language; I've just touched on 'fonts' in effect.
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:07:54 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 09:04:35 am »

Dear Joey,

An impressive analysis on the fonts of our old language! Even I didn't know that much about it... Roll Eyes Have you ever considered to be a sinologist? You have every potential to be an outstanding one... Smiley

Shabbat Shalom,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 09:12:29 am »

Dear Samson,

Thank you very much.
But I'm good at the broad strokes, and they say that "G-D Is In the details". Experts today know more and more about less and less, till they know everything about nothing!
I like being a 'generalist' (ie., LAZY! Roll Eyes Grin Shocked).
Best to all from Old Town Alexandria VA.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Dear Joey,

An impressive analysis on the fonts of our old language! Even I didn't know that much about it... Roll Eyes Have you ever considered to be a sinologist? You have every potential to be an outstanding one... Smiley

Shabbat Shalom,
Samson
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:22:13 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: