About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:32:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Tiny middle period bottle.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiny middle period bottle.  (Read 1007 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: May 08, 2017, 02:12:22 am »

Hi Tom,

I believe he is doing far better as a authenticated faker than he was doing before and I think it was because he was paid so little for his fakes that lead him to alert the police to the scam. He went to an auction with the man that commissioned the fakes and saw one sell for a few hundred thousand with altered provenance that he had been paid a few hundred for.

I saw one of his paintings at a local gallery and liked it but bought one from an auction. The delivery quote was very high so I decided on a day out driving up country to pick it up. The measurements from the auction house meant it would be a tight fit in my car but when I got there and saw the picture it was massive. They give sizes of the painting minus the frame. The frame is very elaborate with plaster mouldings put over the corners of the frame after it is made and the whole then gold leafed and aged.

I provided much amusement to the auction room staff as I broke the frame over a wall in the car park so it would fit in my car having removed the canvas from the frame first. I broke it carefully on the diagonal and the plaster mouldings didn't break. I've glued it back together and you can't see the joins.

I did politely suggest they gave sizes including the frame in future as it was 7 hours of driving there and back.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: