About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:28:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Plain faceted bottle.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plain faceted bottle.  (Read 681 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: April 24, 2017, 10:51:49 am »

I haven't been posting much recently as I haven't been buying much but bought a group of 4 bottles from ebay the other day (first for a long while) and am very pleased with this one which was the main one of the 4 that appealed to me.

Everything about it looks right, shame the spoon is broken. Late 18th Century onwards ?

Any input welcomed.

Regards, Adrian. 

* P4240551.jpg (99.8 KB, 641x850 - viewed 50 times.)

* P4240552.jpg (118.77 KB, 850x688 - viewed 44 times.)

* P4240553.jpg (94.32 KB, 850x680 - viewed 40 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:29:50 pm »

I can not tell how well the facets are finished with these pics to give you a date.. A bit out of focus, but appears new..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:18:18 pm »

Hi George,

To see the way the facets are finished you need to get the light falling on them at the correct angle. Easy to do when looking through a loupe but very hard to photograph.

I'd be amazed if it was new or close to new but that is with the benefit of having it to hand.

Regards, Adrian.

* P4240554.jpg (115.65 KB, 850x652 - viewed 37 times.)

* P4240555.jpg (120.44 KB, 850x704 - viewed 40 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:55:51 pm »

Hi Adrian,

have a look at the crispness of the faceting of a similar bottle:
http://www.e-yaji.com/Marakovic_images/zoom/I.113.html#

There are no misalignments with the faceting and they join up exactly, but I suppose that could be an imperial example in the link. I don't know if that means your bottle couldn't be old though as private workshops often emulated imperial styles or so I've read and the quality would not be as high...

Luke

Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:02:42 pm »

I sure like the round ( concave ) faces of the bottle... Is it slightly concave ?

I am just not so sure that the edges of the beveling are sharp enough for Imperial...  Some actually look a little rounded ( pic attached )..

Regardless, it is a super nice bottle..

Lets see what others think...

You might find this interesting....
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1030.0.html

* beveling.jpg (120.79 KB, 521x483 - viewed 32 times.)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:05:02 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:48:12 pm »

Adrian,

Possibly important, is the circular facet on the front and back face a watch glass shape (i.e., flat or slightly domed) or is it concaved (a depression) which could hold snuff if spooned onto it?

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 09:01:12 pm »

Adrian,

I like your bottle, thanks for sharing it!  It is too bad that the spoon is broken, but I really like the stopper with the blue glass.  Do you know anything about this type of stopper? 

Cheers,

Rheuben.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 09:54:04 pm »

Hi George

Thanks for finding the old post.... learn something new...  Cheesy

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 11:48:35 pm »

Hi Adrian,

What is the size of the bottle?it does look very nice to me.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 01:00:06 am »

Dear Adrian,
to me the picture of the facet reflecting the light, the one in your second post, tells everything. I am convinced that your bottle is an old one, the wear on the edges is evident. Also the second picture of the same post is showing the same evident wear on the mouth.
Those micro-chips and wear are typical of many years of use.
The difference with the bottle seen in the link posted by Luke is only due to the rate of faceting. That bottle is totally faceted, like a gem, you only have the edges within facets there. While on your bottle the faceting is of less amount, you have parts of the original round shape within the corners of the facets. It is just a different level, or deepness, of faceting.
But both bottles show the same wear on the edges.
 I like your bottle very much. The color too is ok for ancient bottles.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 04:17:48 am »

Thanks to all for the feedback, too many to mention individually so a reply to all.

Height is 5.7 cm without stopper which fits with other examples from my books.

The circular panel is flat as with the bottle in the link.

The marks and nicks on the bottle are consistent with age, the wear marks on the base are as per the bottle in the link if you zoom in on the picture.

The faceting hasn't been taken to the level of the bottle in the link which means mine has rounded edges whereas the other has sharp definition to the facets. I think I have seen a comment that might suggest a later date for mine because earlier bottles were more finely worked.

The stopper has a lot of work to it, it's almost filigree work with a sort of basket weave so can't have been moulded. I'm not trying to claim an Imperial connection but Imperial bottles had stoppers made in the metal workshops and examples I have seen have less detail and work than my example.

It looks more blue in my pictures than in reality.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 04:35:00 am »

Dear Adrian,

The Daoguang period (ca.1820-1850) and later examples are larger. If this is genuine, and I'd accept Giovanni's opinion, it is ca. 1750-1820. And the height is correct for that period.
PLEASE state the height w/o stopper in the first posting from now on. And better photos are easier to judge from.
These two details will enable us to give you better, and quicker advice and opinions.
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:02:54 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 06:44:08 am »

Dear Adrian,
I don’t think that the different level, or amount of material filed during the faceting is related to a more or less fine work. It is just a different type of work. It depends from the effect aimed by the grinder, a piece that must show only facets (like a diamond) or a mix of faceted and rounded surfaces. A different looking job, not related to quality, to me. Besides that, it depends also by the thickness of the glass.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: