About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 19, 2024, 05:00:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Tie Ming

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tie Ming  (Read 1090 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: April 28, 2017, 07:35:59 pm »

This is my first ever commissioned snuff bottle.. ! This and one other with dragon poems both by Tie Ming. Will share the dragon poems bottle later..

Thank you Pin for helping !

This first poem I picked out is by T'ang Dynasty poet, Chang Feng called, "Written on My Wang River Retreat after a Steady Rain"

Late summer on the river the sun and wind are mild
the little birds below the eaves are grown
sun drenched butterflies dance among the flowers
newly spun spider webs brighten every room
threadbare curtains invite the moon's reflection
a pillow made of clay echoes with the current
my long graying temples recall the frost and snow
let me pass this life chopping wood and fishing

The retreat Wang Wei ( 701-761 ) bought on the Wang River was sixty kilometers southeast of Chang-an and once belonged to the poet Sung Chihwen. Although Wang rose to the post of deputy prime minister, he was a lifelong Buddhist and a vegetarian, and toward the end of his life he spent more time meditating at his retreat and hiking around the mountains than working in the capital. Hibiscus glowers only last a day, or two at most, and mallow leaves a best picked after the dew dries. Hence, Wang Wei is to hungry to wait. In Chuangtzu: 27 the arrogant Yang tzu Yu returns to his inn after receiving instruction from the Lao Tzu. But where he was once waited on hand and foot, he now has to fight for a place for his mat. "Seats" here also refer to positions of authority, concerning which poet no longer has any interest. In Liehtzu: 2.11 the author recounts ho seagulls flock around a man, until he conceives of a plan to catch them.

This second poem picked out is by T'ang Dynasty poet, Ch'eng Hao called "Summer Day"

When I'm at peace I let everything go
I wake by the east window long after sunrise
viewed without passion everything is fine
seasonal glories hold true for man
the Tao fills the world the formed and the formless
out thoughts are in the ever changing wind and clouds
not troubled by wealth content in poverty
the person who reaches this is truly noble

Ch'eng Hao ( 1032-1085 ) taught thousands of students at his home in Loyang and served briefly in the nearby capital of Kaifeng. But due to his opposition to the policies of Wang An-shih, he was banished to South China and died before he could return. Still, with his younger brother, Ch'eng Yi, he was among the leading lights of neo Confucianism. This poem reflects his philosophy whereby all things are seen as part of the Tao and also as part of the mind. Thus, man shares the same nature as Heaven and Earth and all creation. The harmony of this nature is easily upset by desire and ignorance, but it can be restored through the cultivation of such virtues as kindness and equanimity. The last two lines paraphrase Mencius: 3b/2.3.

* tieming1.jpg (107.25 KB, 417x570 - viewed 55 times.)

* tieming2.jpg (109.36 KB, 410x601 - viewed 53 times.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:55:02 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:20:58 pm »

Hi George

I think it's my post in the Exchange, trade, sell, swap etc section.....

Glad that you like the bottles....

Thanks a lot

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 05:23:25 am »

Hi George,

Congrats on your lovely bottle. I especially like the poem "Summer Day". It must be wonderful to be able to hold a snuff bottle in your hand that speaks to you so personally. Enjoy!

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

cshapiro

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:06:01 am »

Lovely poems! I agree with Toni-Lee that I especially like "Summer Day"

Congratulations George!
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 02:41:48 pm »

Congratulations, George.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 04:44:20 am »

Hi George

Nice bottle   !

But do you mean  Tie  Ming  or  Tie Min ( =  Wang Tiemin = Wang Tiecheng ) ?

Cheers
Peter

* CC Bio of Wang Tiemin = Wang Tiecheng @ CIPMA.jpg (44.88 KB, 713x1024 - viewed 38 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 06:32:00 am »

Hi George

Nice bottle   !

But do you mean  Tie  Ming  or  Tie Min ( =  Wang Tiemin = Wang Tiecheng ) ?

Cheers
Peter

No, pretty sure not the same... 

I do not know anything more than he is a young artist who has been perfecting his calligraphy over the past couple years..
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3237.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 10:51:07 am »

Peter,

George's commissioned bottle was by Tie Min ( 铁民 ), according to the signature on the bottle shown by George. It was done by the young artist in the winter of 2016 , year of 丙申。
The pictures posted by Pin in September 2016 were works of Tie Min done in the Summer of the same year.

However, it is interesting to note that there is a slight difference in the way the Chinese character ' Tie 铁 ' was signed off by the artist. In Pin's bottle, the character ' Tie ' was in the complex form used in Taiwan ( 鐡 ), whilst in George's bottle the ' Tie ' was in a simplified form of ( 铁 ). I am just curious why he changed the signature from Summer to Winter season within the same year ? Mood change ?

Just my observation.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 05:32:38 pm »

Great observation and question Inn Bok

Lets see if Pin may have an answer..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 05:33:19 pm »

Peter was right to be confused - it seems there are two artists using the same pen name Tie Min (鉄民) although from two different generations.

Peter's Wang Tie Min was painting bottles in the 1990s using Tie Min (鉄民) - here is one of mine

with signature panel

The latest Tie Min (鉄民) is painting calligraphy in the 2016+ years.

I hope I've got my Chinese right.

Geoff
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:53:30 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 12:16:36 am »

Hi Geoff :

It's 2 different person with the same name and surname.
One is doing Calligraphy and the other painting.

Theres also 2 王伟, WangWei.... one is a landscape painter and is a Male, the other is Wang XiSan's daughter.... helping up in WXS family businesses.

Hi InnBok :

Yes, Tie Min signed off in 2 ways... sometime in the complicated form sometime in a simplified way.... he use to sign more in the complicated way for the reason to differentiate himself from the painting Tie Min.... but now that he is more famous, he is not worried about the confusion (maybe that's how he feels....  although it still cause confusion  Grin)... anyway, even using the simplified way... he 铁 is written different from the paining TieMin way.

Peter also correctly pointed out the the HanYuPinYing for 民 is Min, not Ming

Pin

Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 05:57:33 am »

George,

Nice bottle!

Rheuben.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 08:11:43 am »

Hi  All

Yes  it's   Tie  MIN   铁民    NOT  Tie  MING

The  "min"  is  the  same  as   the  "min:  in  RenMinBi  =  "people / populace  "

Aaaaaaaaagh....

Back to updating  my  Data  Base   YET  again  !!!!

Took me  a  whole   hour  today to get the Tie Min (1) and  Tie  Min(2)   story  straight  and  into the  DB.  but  thanks for  the  input   from all !

BTW : there's now a  whole new  generation of USB sticks- super  fast (and  super  cheap  " US$15  max  for   32 min  GB.... "   AMAZING !)

Before  it took  me  2  -3  hours  to  download  my  DB  to a  USB stick  with  multiple  failures   because  of  huge  long  file-name  extensions  ( jpgs   within  files  within files  within  files.....  etc.)

With the  new  generation  of  USB sticks  I can   download  my  entire   15  GB  DB  in less  than 5  minutes, and  it  uploads  equally fast,  as I  just  tested  my on spare  lap top

I  therefore  will be  posting  copies  of  my latest  DB  to a few  trusted  Forum colleagues  in the  next few  months for safe-keeping  "in case I suddenly  fall under a  bus ..."

My  DB is  still  freely  available  for  sale   @ US$500  per  copy  for anyone  who has  a  sincere  interest  in  VMIPBs  (the  DB also  includes almost  all  Early and Middle  Period  artists, and  all their  alternate   art names,  although  only a  few  of their   representative  bottles :  other  representative  bottles  by these  E&M   IPB artists  can  easily be   found  elsewhere  e.g  Hugh  Moss's  e-yaji   website ) 

Cheers

Peter

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:52:00 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 05:11:11 pm »

Here is the second Wang Tiemin that Pin helped me with... This one was commissioned for a local collecting friend of mine who has caught the collecting bug recently..  He favors dragon related poems and themes, so Pin also helped with one of the dragon poems..

Thanks again Pin... Smiley

The first poem

The Spring Grass Along the Bank of the Dragon Pond ... by Li Tong

The Spring grass flourish along side of the tranquil dragon pond, lavishing its bank with green sparkling without any dirt.

The gentle wind send its rhythm through the green, dislodging the tiny drew drops as it goes along.

The shallow of the pond seems to lead you to heaven and the depth is as mysterious as the carriage of the heaven son.

Along the river, fishes is playful along the shadow castes by the grass and flowers look fresh in the morning drew.

If one is willing to be taught and learn..... the bank of the dragon pond is never ending and always accompanying you, together with all the teaching and experience from all the sages in history.

The second poem

The sword that turn into the Dragon... by Zhang Yi

The ancient sword has an awe that is portrait by its intricate fabrication. It immediately turns into a dragon once it's unlocked from its burial ground of many years.

Initially only a glimpse of light shins through, but it soon turn into a force that commands respect. The clouds are pieced through and hundred miles and the water can feels its vibration a thousands lapses.

The power of the sword is like a dragon displaying its beauty on the sandy beach..... and who is fortunate enough to witness the trial of the dragon.

Enjoy !

* will1.jpg (129.7 KB, 429x540 - viewed 28 times.)

* will2.jpg (135.29 KB, 409x554 - viewed 27 times.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 03:56:53 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
MikeChina

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 09:23:05 pm »

There are two artists named Tie Min.
The two also have same family name -- Wang.
One is good at writting, and the other is good at painting the figures。
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 06:27:38 pm »

Hi  Mike

Please  can you  fill in some  details  for me?

Tie Min (1)  =  Wang Tiemin 王铁民 = Wang Tiecheng 王铁成 :  he  is mentioned  in  CIPMA  and is good at  painting  figures

I think he also  has  an art name  Wang  Nan :  画师王铁民,艺名王南
(Is that  the  correct  "Nan"  or  should  it be

Tie Min (2)  =   Wang ? ?  ?  ?
 He is  much younger  and is  good  at painting  characters .
What is his   full  name please ?

Cheers
Peter

PS:  George  :  It's  Tie  MIN  (not  Tie MING) 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:33:32 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

MikeChina

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 02:06:23 am »

Wang Tiemin, who is good at figures, was born in 1971.

* ?????0.jpg (232.28 KB, 510x567 - viewed 17 times.)

* ?????.jpg (1529.26 KB, 1425x1701 - viewed 22 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
MikeChina

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 02:08:40 am »

Wang Tiemin, who is good at writting in the bottle, was born in 1983.

* ?????0.jpg (116.95 KB, 425x426 - viewed 27 times.)

* ?????.jpg (344.34 KB, 1134x511 - viewed 34 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: