About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:16:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Coral Cicada

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coral Cicada  (Read 2324 times)
cshapiro

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2017, 09:35:55 am »

Thank you George, and thanks for putting this in the right category!
Thanks Toni-Lee - it's a small world - probably especially the snuff bottle world! haha
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 03:47:01 am »

Hi Cathy,

I seem to recall you having a good coral bottle on your wish list so well done on ticking that one off.

I just received Chinese Snuff Bottles No4, edited by Hugh Moss from 1966 and the advert for Y F Yang has him at 42 Chungking Arcade in Hong Kong so was before he moved to Ocean Terminal.

There is a nice article in it by Rewi Alley who went to see snuff bottle makers in Peking as they were starting to make bottles after the terrible problems up to 1949. He first went in the 50's  when they were starting up in their own homes and went again in 1965 when they had joined together and worked in a large building making IP, lacquer, cloisonne and ivory bottles. There was also a man doing Old Moon Pavilion bottles.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 11:12:56 pm »

Thanks Adrian!

I will have to read that - I'm pretty sure I have No4 - thanks for the reference
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 06:44:12 am »

Oh. Sorry... Roll Eyes Grin Wink
Happy Passover,
Joey

It is in the Organic category, Samson. Huh
Joey

Nice one Cathy! And you shouldn't go wrong with Y.F. Yang as provenance. But coral is something beyond my reach since shipping of it is restricted by CITES.

I also think it's better to post it under the "organic bottle" category.

Best,
Samson

Dear Joey,

It wasn't two days ago... Roll Eyes Thanks to George, it now is... Smiley

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: