About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:48:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Signatures Famous Artists of Inside Painted Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Signatures Famous Artists of Inside Painted Bottles  (Read 14337 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: January 28, 2011, 10:51:31 am »

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Clare
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:34:08 pm »

This is a nice reference to have !

Looks like you coppied it from a book. What book did this come out of ?
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:06:20 am »

Yes Clare.. These are taken from Bob Stevens, "The Collectors Book Of Snuff Bottles".

Highly recommended book ..  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:06:54 am »

Hi  George

Very useful table. Thanks !

Two bits  of info  to add:

1.  The    english phoenetic  spelling  in the  table  is an old  system  that  dates back   to the   late   1800's   called the  Wade  Giles  system.   It's  still  used  in Taiwan   ( but  - I think  - in a slightly  simplified    version , or does Tawain use yet another    system ?)

After the    Chinese Liberation  in  1949  the   Communist  govt    designed a much better and simpler   system called  pinyin. 

Once you  learn  the  pinyin  pronunciation  rules  they  are incredibly  precise  - as   precise  as German ( what's written is   excatly  how it's spoken )

Everyone now in China and HK uses   pinyin and  my data base  is all in pinyin +  Simplified   script

eg the  first name  ( top  left  ) in the  list  is    Chang  Kuang-Ch'ing    in Wade  Giles. In pinyin     that's  Zhang  Guang Qing  (Current  Grand Master  of the  Lu School  in  Shandong)

Google  Wade  Giles. I just did.  There's  even   a  conversion  table from Wade Giles to Pinyin  there   !  Very useful  !

2.  Another  thing the  Communsits  did was to  simplify the    characters ( not all , but  very many)  . Thus the old     style , which is  still used in HK and  Taiwan, is  called  Traditional  Script, and the  new     simplifiedform  used  in China  is  called  ....   (   surprise   surprise ! )    Simplified  Script .

All the  characters  in your table from Bob Stevens  book are  Traditional, except  in the   case of  Chang Kuan-Ch'ing where  both  versions  are  shown (  Simplified  at the  bottom )

So  Modern  School artists   will  (usually)  sign their  names  in Simplified   script, but  Middle School artists      will have  signed  exclisively  in Traditional

There  are  websites  on Google  that  convert  simplified to  traditional and vice  versa

When I  have time  I must     convert  all     the Modern  School  names  in   your list   to  Pinyin   and  then  add  to my data base  if not there  already. That will also  give me  a crash  course  in Wade  Giles  which I never studied  before

Cheers  Peter @ HK

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:30:53 am »

I am going to add this to the thread here...

Thank you again Peter !

Wade-Giles to Pinyin Table
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:39:02 pm »

This   conversion  table  also look  good and  is  a   downloadable  pdf

Peter

* wadetopinyin.pdf (32.67 KB - downloaded 61 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

kjennings12

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 11:01:10 am »

Thanks George! Just bought the book...

Keith
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: