About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:12:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

UK ban on Ivory.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK ban on Ivory.  (Read 635 times)
Jungle Jas

« on: October 07, 2017, 01:29:31 am »

Yesterday the UK government said it is bringing in a law banning the sale of all Ivory objects of any age  unless they are of special/exceptional artistic or cultural significance. So were does that leave people like me with Ivory snuff bottles? At the moment you can buy and sell any Ivory as long as it is older than 1942. What is the point of this useless law it wont stop the Elephants getting killed.

Regards Jason.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:01:33 am by Jungle Jas » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 08:00:19 am »

Dear Jason,

It's called 'Virtue Signaling'; ie., Bullsh*t.
Just like raising the minimum wage does NOT help produce new jobs, it helps to deny jobs to new workers; this also is just to look like they are doing something. And I don't know why the Tories even bother.
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Jungle Jas

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 11:13:49 am »

Dear Joey,

I agree with your sentiment 100%. You would have thought with all the problems politicians have at the moment  they would have had something of significance to do with there time instead of this bulls£!?.  Roll Eyes

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 12:10:55 pm »

Dear Joey and Jason,

Perhaps the Tories are so desperate for getting some achievements marked on their blank performance card that they are introducing such a law? When a government fails to please the people, they turn to "protect" the endangered animals to gain back some popularity... Roll Eyes

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 03:20:19 pm »

Here's a thought:
      How about announcing to the world that Islamist terror is the cause of all the terrorist attacks in the UK during the last 10 years, and that Islamic gangs have been 'grooming' non-Moslem girls as sex tools for the last 20 years, and suggesting expulsion from the UK back to country of origin, or even country of parents' origin [etc.] as a punishment ?
Personally, I'd support return of the death penalty; but 'baby' steps.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 02:16:42 am »

Dear Joey;

Apparently they new all the above had been going on for years, but the authorities failed to act for fear of being called racist. I know what I call them, unprincipled spineless toss pots.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 02:30:16 am »

I agree with you totally, Jason.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 09:17:19 pm »

Sorry guys (and gals),

A total ban in ALL ivory trading is the only way to save these magnificent creatures. Allowing so-called "antique" ivory to be traded just leaves a huge hole in the net, allowing the poaching and butchery to continue unabated.

In Fighting Illegal Ivory, EU Lags Behind (National Geographic)
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/06/ivory-trafficking-european-union-china-hong-kong-elephants-poaching/

Elephants on the path to extinction - the facts (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/aug/12/elephants-on-the-path-to-extinction-the-facts/

Elephant poachers are hard at work in Africa, and carbon dating proves it (LA Times)
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-elephant-ivory-poaching-20161107-story.html

100,000 Elephants Killed by Poachers in Just Three Years, Landmark Analysis Finds (National Geographic)
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/08/140818-elephants-africa-poaching-cites-census/

I only have one ivory snuff bottle, which I bought in 1972, and I now regret it.

Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Jungle Jas

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 12:15:01 pm »

Dear Wattana,

I think you  will find nearly all new ivory comes from the East, not the UK. I haven't seen a single piece of Ivory in the UK for many years that could be described as post 1942. It's just an easy target obtain some headlines with out it costing them any thing.

Kind regards Jason.

Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 01:36:45 pm »

Dear Tom,

First of all TRUTH and the Guardian or the LA Times is an oxymoron.
And I don't trust National Geographic either.

There is a simple way to test every piece of ivory - DNA testing. It should cost US$30 per object, and you would know age and source of ivory.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 02:07:52 am »

Thanks Joey, I hadn't thought of that! Although it is obvious when its been pointed out to you! LOL

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 03:02:35 am »

Dear Jason,

There are a number of problems for me with a total Ivory ban.
1. Ivory has been a medium of Human artistic endeavor for over 8,000 years; in the Israel Museum Jerusalem, there is an 8,000 year old knife hilt of ivory, carved in the shape of a doe, with the four limbs close to the body. It's stunning, and was supposed to be a high point of a traveling exhibition of Israel Museum collection objects in 7 museums in the USA and Canada, till the Americans said that Ivory could not be imported, even temporarily, into the USA. So it returned to its display case in our Prehistoric Section.

2. There is a lot of Prehistoric Mammoth Ivory out there. That is legal at the moment.

3. If every country mandated a DNA test for Ivory, it would go down to about US$16/piece, and possibly less.

4. It is part of creeping Bolshevism; they were beaten again and again, so, in order to limit us, and thereby weaken Western democratic freedoms, they make up different scams to deprive us of freedoms and get us trained to accept Big Brother's controls, come the revolution: First it was the 'Global Freezing' scam (remember? The world was going into a new Ice Age, because we were using too much of something or other); then the 'Global Warming' scam. When it was proven that pseudo scientists had falsified the data, and technically there is no 'Global Warming' [in fact, since 1998, when the latest scam started, it's been getting a bit cooler!], they repackaged it as 'Global Climate Change'; makes it easier to switch from 'Global Warming' to 'Global Freezing', I guess.

I accept that there has ALWAYS been Global Climate Change; I DON'T accept that any of it is Human-caused. One stinking little volcano in Iceland did more to cause pollution than all the cars every made, put together.  And when Arctic ice is shrinking, Antarctic ice is growing. 

And 97% of serious scientists in the fields of meteorology and climate do NOT accept the concept of Human caused Climate Change; 97% of self-described 'scientists' in Chicago who were polled once in 1998, do. I know this because a friend's wife in Chicago, was polled, because she is a bacteriologist. When Dr. Shaul was asked if she believed that it was Human caused, she asked in return, "Why are you asking me? I'm not "in Climate", I'm in Bacteriology". They said they were asking all scientists in the Chicago area their personal opinion. She said that such a question had no merit, and hung up.

Although, I must admit that if I was Albert Gore, I would believe very strongly in the new religion of Human-caused Global Climate Change. It has enlarged Mr. Gore's net worth from about US$68 million, to just under US$1.2 billion!  And enables him to flit about on his private jet all over the world, while preaching to us that we should stop all 'frivolous' air travel, and cycle instead of drive.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: