About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:07:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Inside Painted Bottle with Geese in a Winter Scene

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inside Painted Bottle with Geese in a Winter Scene  (Read 2731 times)
NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« on: March 26, 2017, 10:23:18 am »

Hi Everyone,

I have had this inside painted bottle in my collection for about 40 years now. I have been told that the 28 character inscription is Li Shu, but know little else. It is 3 inches tall without the stopper. Any help with the translation and date would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Toni-Lee

* rsz_dsc07236.jpg (88.82 KB, 844x1094 - viewed 50 times.)

* rsz_dsc07238.jpg (109 KB, 949x1121 - viewed 45 times.)

* rsz_dsc07239.jpg (174.45 KB, 1250x1176 - viewed 40 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:57:30 am »

Maybe you already know that what is meant by Li Shu is the style of calligraphy..

I can not tell you much more.. I suspect the painting looks much better in person.. I think the photograph may not be doing it justice ?

Hopefully one of our Chinese members can tell you more ...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 11:07:58 am »

陈润三 (Chen RunSan) is 陈润璞 (Chen RunPu)

Very good bottle.... he is one of the first few and famous student of Wang XiSan.

Congratulation

Pin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:10:09 am by AntPeople » Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

NE collector

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 11:50:13 am »

Hi George,

Yes, the painting does look better in person. I'm not the best photographer and my camera is nothing special, a Sony Cyber-Shot. I should invest in a better camera. Thank you for your information. I was not aware that Li Shu was a style of calligraphy.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

NE collector

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 11:56:22 am »

Dear Pin,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I know so little about inside painted bottles. Do you have any idea how old it is? I was drawn to it because of the calmness of the scene with the full moon, and often wondered what the inscription said on the reverse side.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 12:18:18 pm »

Dear Toni-Lee,

Chen Runpu is a top artist! And you bought his work 40 years ago (ie., ca.1977) ?
Impressive. He was born in 1946 and started studying IP in 1968, and was possibly the best  'first generation' student of the great modern master, Wang Xisan.

I have only 2 bottles by him, one a winter landscape, bought in 1996 directly from him in Beijing,
during the ICSBS convention (in 1996, we had a 2-city convention; first 4 days in Beijing (Wed.-Sat.), then Sun. was the 'free' day to fly to Hong Kong, and the next 4 days (Mon.-Thurs.) in Hong Kong. It was brilliant, but the Western dealers waited till Hong Kong to sell, since there were all sorts of problems bringing stuff in, and then taking stuff out, of the PRC.

The second is also a landscape, bought in 2016 from a dear friend who had it in his collection.
If you ever want to sell yours, please think of me.
Wonderful bottle! Chen Runpu's winter scenes are beautiful.
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:20:00 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

NE collector

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:43:18 pm »

Hi Joey,

How wonderful to hear that it is a good bottle. As a novice collector at the time, I relied upon heart and instinct most of the time, with a large portion of beginner's luck.  Perhaps it was meant to be as we were both born in the same year. (Subtract 20 years for good behavior, that's the way I remain forever young...HaHa!) Out of the few inside painted bottles that I have, this one is a favorite. Should I ever decide to part with it, you will be the first to know. Thank you for your kind words.

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »

Dear Toni-Lee,

I've a mild case of Asperger's, so I'm sort of 'hard-wired' to tell the truth; as Monk says, "It's a blessing but also a curse". Roll Eyes Grin 

But once, when I was stopped for speeding, the policeman told me I was going 108 km/hr. in a 95 km/hr. stretch of highway. I corrected him to say I'd been actually going 120 and had slowed down!  He said it was the first time ANY driver had corrected him upward, and asked why I was speeding.

I replied that my big brother had landed from Toronto and I didn't want him to wait. The policeman said that another few km. onward, on the airport -Jerusalem direction, was a horrible accident with 6 or 7 dead, and if I got into such an accident, my brother would not only wait, he might have to go to a funeral.

He said to think about that, and not to go over 5 km over the listed speed limit (100 instead of 95). He also let me off with just a warning. Since, I've not gone more than 10% over, and usually I drive at the limit, not over.

I looked at your bottle again, and you bought it in 1978 or later; I know because it is dated with the cyclical date 'wu wu', or 1978 (or 1918 or 2038, neither of which it could be  Wink).

Lishu is called 'Clerical Script'. It was a more monumental style of calligraphy with certain strokes accentuated bolder, and considered suitable for monumental inscriptions on public steles.  Chen Runpu's Lishu is very good as well.

A lot of the modern artists have very poor calligraphic skills, since these were looked down upon for part of the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976). Notice that your bottle was painted after 1976, when he could again sign his name. Many bottles during the period of the CR were signed with only the Studio name. I have bottles signed 'Yi Hu Zhai' or "One Bottle studio". This was the studio of Wang Xisan and his students from 1972.

Whether 'Beginner's Luck' or a 'Good Eye' (And I tend to the latter, after seeing a number of your bottles),
a beauty.
  Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:03:50 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

NE collector

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 03:14:25 pm »

Hi Joey,

I looked for the catalog from the auction where I purchased this bottle and found it. It was bought in 1979. This seems to confirm your thoughts about the purchase date. Thank you for the additional information. Now that I have the name of the maker, I can further my research and begin to learn something about this branch of collecting of snuff bottles. I have a lot to learn.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 06:31:24 pm »

Wow, a really good bottle Toni-Lee. Congratulations!

According to the texts in A New Look and Inside painting of the Modern Age (both have several pages on Chen Runpu), he only started signing his art name (Run San) in the late 70's - so this is a really early bottle for him.

Can I ask where the auction was?

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 06:54:23 pm »

Hi Geoff,

The auction was at Robert C. Eldred Co., Inc in East Dennis, Massachusetts (Cape Cod). Back in the day, they has a pretty good Asian Art auction, usually at the end of the summer.

Thank you for your kind words regarding my bottle. I had no idea it was special. I have always admired inside painted bottles but have been pretty resistive in buying, because of my lack of knowledge. I believe I have 5 in my collection and each was bought with my heart and appreciation of the artist's rendition of the subject matter. I thought this one was delightful.

Thank's again.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 07:45:50 pm »

Thanks Toni-Lee

Eldred's are still going strong on Auctions and usually include some Chinese snuff bottles in most of their Asian Art auctions. Others here will know them better.

I'm intrigued that they should have a Chen Renpu bottle in their auction in 1979! - hot off the press!

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 08:16:53 pm »

Hi Geoff,

Yes, they are still doing auctions. I don't get down to the Cape very often. I spend more time in Maine during the summer and tend to forget about Eldred's Auctions.  Perhaps this year.

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 09:40:17 pm »

Hi Toni-Lee :

Congratulation on finding out that the bottle is very precious.... and if you do want to sell the bottle and Joey for any reason do not want it, please let me know.... hahahah Grin. (I tot of asking if you would want to sell the bottle but then doubt that you will let it go after finding out who's the artist behind it.)

The bottle should still be painted with a bamboo stick, (at least I am quite sure that the calligraphy is written with bamboo), so its really a bottle that is quite hard to come by.

I have a early day bottle by Chen RunPu that I post a while ago, also painted with bamboo.

Also, it might be interesting to make a comparison between a lot of inner painters'  painting on wild-geese with this early Qing dynasty painter that specialize in painting wild-geese. His name is 边寿民 (Bian ShouMin).... (if you just copy the Chinese name and google it, you will see many more example of his painting on wild-geese.)

Thanks for sharing ... wonderful bottle

Pin
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:29:28 am by AntPeople » Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 04:09:44 am »

Geese in a winter scene is quite a popular subject, I've seen a number of examples and have one myself by a different artist and, like Toni-Lee, it's a subject that appeals.

Regards, Adrian.

* P1010476.jpg (52.76 KB, 312x480 - viewed 35 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 05:46:36 am »

Hi Pin,

What a sweet bottle! The whole composition is lovely. The squirrel is so cute. Good for you, and your outstanding bottle. It has the same feeling as my geese bottle. Thank you for showing a fine example of Chen Runpu.

HaHa, my geese will be wintering and summering right here in Massachusetts for a long time, but thank you. Thank you for posting the wild geese examples. I do love the subject matter.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

NE collector

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 05:53:34 am »

Hi Adrian,

Your bottle is fabulous. There is so much going on in such a small space. A realistic snapshot of wild life in winter. A lovely animated painting. Thank's for sharing.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 07:29:36 am »

Toni-Lee,

Thanks for starting this thread!  It's quite informative and shows many beautiful examples of IP bottles.
You mention summers in Maine... are you anywhere near Westport? (My wife's family has a cottage there.)

Cheers,

Rheuben.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

NE collector

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2017, 07:48:30 am »

Hi Rheuben,

Thank you. I enjoyed this thread very much too.

I am in Ogunquit, Maine which is southern Maine. Sorry to say, I don't know where Westport is, but I do not believe it's close to Ogunquit.

Regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: