About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 05:39:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Inside Painted Bottle with Geese in a Winter Scene

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inside Painted Bottle with Geese in a Winter Scene  (Read 2758 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: March 26, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »

Dear Toni-Lee,

I've a mild case of Asperger's, so I'm sort of 'hard-wired' to tell the truth; as Monk says, "It's a blessing but also a curse". Roll Eyes Grin 

But once, when I was stopped for speeding, the policeman told me I was going 108 km/hr. in a 95 km/hr. stretch of highway. I corrected him to say I'd been actually going 120 and had slowed down!  He said it was the first time ANY driver had corrected him upward, and asked why I was speeding.

I replied that my big brother had landed from Toronto and I didn't want him to wait. The policeman said that another few km. onward, on the airport -Jerusalem direction, was a horrible accident with 6 or 7 dead, and if I got into such an accident, my brother would not only wait, he might have to go to a funeral.

He said to think about that, and not to go over 5 km over the listed speed limit (100 instead of 95). He also let me off with just a warning. Since, I've not gone more than 10% over, and usually I drive at the limit, not over.

I looked at your bottle again, and you bought it in 1978 or later; I know because it is dated with the cyclical date 'wu wu', or 1978 (or 1918 or 2038, neither of which it could be  Wink).

Lishu is called 'Clerical Script'. It was a more monumental style of calligraphy with certain strokes accentuated bolder, and considered suitable for monumental inscriptions on public steles.  Chen Runpu's Lishu is very good as well.

A lot of the modern artists have very poor calligraphic skills, since these were looked down upon for part of the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976). Notice that your bottle was painted after 1976, when he could again sign his name. Many bottles during the period of the CR were signed with only the Studio name. I have bottles signed 'Yi Hu Zhai' or "One Bottle studio". This was the studio of Wang Xisan and his students from 1972.

Whether 'Beginner's Luck' or a 'Good Eye' (And I tend to the latter, after seeing a number of your bottles),
a beauty.
  Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:03:50 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: