About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:14:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Zhang Shufen

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zhang Shufen  (Read 407 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:39 pm »

The few bottles I have purchased like this, with a scene on one side, and the reverse with short description, signature and date have always turned out to actually have been painted by the artist who signed.  They are always very finely detailed paintings.

I think this will turn out the same..

There is a slip of paper in the box. "Part of Great Wall", Wang Shufen 張淑芬, Hebei China, Feb 2000.

The only place I could find the name Zhang Shufen, is on a bibliography on E-YAJI . Part way down I found this:

Gugong bowuyuan  故宮博物院, and Zhang Shufen 張淑芬. 2005. Wen fang si bao. Zhi yan 文房四寶:紙硯 [Four treasures of the study: Paper and inkstones]. Hong Kong: Shangwu yinshuguan.

I do not know if, or how Gugong Bowuyuan may be connected to Zhang. Or how either name is connected to the expression, "Four treasures of the study, Paper and inkstones"

Can anyone help further connect the dots between my artist and that snippet of information at E-YAJI ?

* ZhangShufen1.jpg (97.33 KB, 440x370 - viewed 24 times.)

* ZhangShufen2.jpg (169.13 KB, 671x501 - viewed 29 times.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:53:04 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 05:32:32 pm »

Hi George,,

Did you  notice that   you   wrote  Wang Shufen 張淑芬,  whereas it should  be Zhang ?

There  is no  Zhang  Shufen  in my  DB  but I  did   find  Ms  Wang Shufen

However :

1.  Wang Shufen  seems to have only  painted   flowers  and birds

2. Her  painting  standard  was  several  quantum  levels  higher than  the   Great Wall  pic  you posted

To be frank, that  picture  is  pretty  low grade  stuff.  I reckon it  was  actually  mass-painted  and  sold  via a  tourist   gift shop , and  whoever  bought it ( i.e  a  tourist)  had the   date  written  for  him/her on the  blank reverse  side  by the  gift shop  owner  who had  a  modest  skill  at  writing  english inside a  bottle (I have  seen  such people  in the past at the  Great  Wall  gift shops)

Cheers
Peter

* Students of Zhang Rucai ( ZRC Catalog) .doc (277.5 KB - downloaded 12 times.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 05:34:49 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 07:59:42 pm »

Looks like I misspelled it once in the post.. Got it fixed ..

I agree that this great wall painting is not so hot.. But the few other ones by other artists are really nicely painted. I think these took time and skill.. But yes.. , that one is not so hot.
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1880.msg23576.html#msg23576
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 02:44:11 am »

Hi  George,

Looking back at the  2  x  Jia Yi  bottles  they are  of  course very  good   quality  - typical  of  Li Shouxun's   studio / students'  work

You  may  find they  are  signed  on the  bottom (i.e. the   base )  or else   right   down the   edge

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:01:28 pm »

Thanks Peter...

No other signatures...  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal