About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:15:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Mammoth Tooth Snuff Bottle?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mammoth Tooth Snuff Bottle?  (Read 1159 times)
NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« on: March 05, 2017, 11:28:50 am »

Hi Everyone,

I bought this snuff bottle in 1975. It is 2 inches tall without the top. I was drawn to it because of the unusual material. It is surprisingly well hollowed and the top made of the same material. I'm aware it's not valuable, but I was wondering if it is really mammoth tooth? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Toni-Lee

* rsz_dsc07231.jpg (116.1 KB, 878x1018 - viewed 45 times.)

* rsz_dsc07232.jpg (119.99 KB, 905x1047 - viewed 36 times.)

* rsz_dsc07233.jpg (87.7 KB, 809x1014 - viewed 34 times.)

* rsz_dsc07235.jpg (43.24 KB, 862x574 - viewed 27 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 11:53:32 am »

Toni-Lee,

I have seen a number of these in various snuff bottle collection and auction catalogs, but have only seen a handful in person which were behind glass.  From the photos it sure looks like mammoth tooth to me, however it does appear to be of a lower grade material.  Possibly a lower grade material generated during grading out for sale/use or a piece that was discarded from another project.

The matching top in this case and bottle shape in my opinion indicates a contemporary bottle, and if purchased in 1975, it has a 1970's feel about it in respect to age.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

NE collector

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 02:00:26 pm »

Thank you Charll,

You make a very interesting observation regarding the quality of the tooth. I didn't think of that. I have seen one or two come up at auction and have noticed the material was a bit different.  They did not having as many large brown striations as my bottle has. It will remain one of my "unusual" bottles that has an interesting story regarding the material it was made from. Thank you for your information.

Regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 03:46:27 pm »

Dear Toni-Lee,

I agree with Charll, as to material and age. I must admit I did not know there were different grades or qualities, but it stands to reason.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

NE collector

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 05:10:17 pm »

Hi Joey,

Thank you for your opinion. One of those purchases that is more of a curiosity than any thing else.  I thought it was unusual and hoped it was real mammoth tooth.

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 08:29:50 pm »

Hi Toni-Lee,

Very nice to have an example of this interesting material! Always wanted one, but never found one in my price range. I don't know anything about different grades, but agree with Charll as to age. The overall shape, the mask handles, foot rim and the matching stopper all point to a 1970s production. Since you bought it in 1975, that narrows the range.   Wink

The few mammoth tooth bottles I have handled were cold to the touch, extremely heavy, and felt like stone, so I would say the correct term would be fossilized mammoth tooth (as opposed to a lightweight organic material). And the cloud-like pattern seen on your bottle was much more closely packed together in bands.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:54:05 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 10:42:42 pm »

Dear Toni-Lee,

It looks more like a stone bottle to me at first glance. The others should be right on the age of production but the material itself could of course be several thousands to several millions years old... Wink

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 02:01:53 pm »

Hi Toni-Lee,

It is an interesting material and has a look of stone about it at first as Sampson says.

Maybe a Mammoth with a sweet tooth !

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 05:09:25 am »

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your thoughts. You are correct about the weight, it feels heavier than it looks. I assumed it was made fairly close to the time I bought it. The organic look makes for an interesting addition to my collection. Thank's again.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

NE collector

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 05:18:59 am »

Hello Samson,

Nice to think the material is that old.  Time marches on...the "new" bottle shape of the tooth is roughly 40 years old now. A drop in the bucket in the potential real age of the material. Thank you for your comments.

Best regards,

Toni -Lee

Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

NE collector

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 05:29:34 am »

Hi Adrian,

Hahaha. Yes, I wish my mammoth took better care of his teeth! My bottle doesn't seem to be made of the best grade of tooth. That's alright. I'll keep it, "cavities" and all. When I show my bottle to friends, no one ever guesses what the material is. A conversation starter. Thank you.

Best,

Toni-Lee

Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 12:46:43 pm »

Dear Toni-Lee,

There is another 'plus' to your Mammoth tooth bottle - the material's age.

My late mom used to occasionally wear a few strands of her 'Hittite' beads, strands of tiny stone beads made by the Hittites, thousands of years ago (3,500-7,000 years ago). She had over a dozen strands, among the over 1200 pieces in her Antiquities collection. She used to say that a woman could not help feeling young, no matter what her age, while wearing beads over 3,500 years old!

Same thing with your 'mammoth tooth'!   Grin
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

NE collector

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 05:21:50 am »

Hello Joey,

I am a great fan of anything that is older than I am. Compared to the mammoth tooth, I am really a "spring chicken"!

What a fantastic recollection of your Mom wearing her special beads. She sounds like she was a fabulous woman with deep thoughts and great humor. Thank you for sharing such a nice story.

Best wishes,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:22 pm »

Toni-lee, is are some additional mammoth tooth comparisons from an older thread here on the Fourm.

This is an actual mammoth tooth bottle for comparison.  Likely a contemporary bottle that was pulled from an internet search.

Mammoth Tooth: 1800-1850; natural caramel, cream and of-white banded markings in a flattened round shape, Height 4.7 cm. 
(Dennis G. Crow, Autumn 1994 catalog)

Mammoth Tooth: 1750-1850; natural cream, caramel and brown on an off-white ground in a flat rectangular shape with round shoulders, Height 6.1 cm.  (Dennis G. Crow, Autumn 1995 catalog)

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 12:04:48 am »

Charll,

Thanks for posting the ones from the old Dennis Crow catalogues. I have copies in my library but had completely forgotten they contained any mammoth tooth bottles. The first bottle in your post does look like 20th C, but could be late 19th C. The two Dennis Crow bottles are older.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

NE collector

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 12:41:42 pm »

Hi Charll,

Thank you for posting the mammoth tooth bottles. It is interesting to see the variation of the material.  I appreciate your comparison examples and thank you for taking the time to do so.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 09:35:41 am »

Hi Toni-Lee,

Thanks for sharing the nice bottle.

For sharing, I am posting one I believe to be mammoth tooth bottle as well, 49 mm high.

Inn Bok
Singapore

* IMG_5390.JPG (80.38 KB, 396x532 - viewed 25 times.)

* IMG_5392.JPG (118.59 KB, 483x593 - viewed 22 times.)

* IMG_5394.JPG (131.25 KB, 616x520 - viewed 14 times.)

* IMG_5395.JPG (168.41 KB, 729x661 - viewed 13 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 12:32:48 pm »

Hi Inn Bok,

Your bottle is very nice. Lovely color and quality. He took very good care of his teeth! Thank you for sharing.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »

Nice ones Inn Bok... !

Yes indeed.. He must have believed in flossing !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 09:04:30 pm »

Nice markings Inn Bok.  What is the estimated age of the bottle? 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: