About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 09:54:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

2 plain bottles, are they too plain ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 plain bottles, are they too plain ?  (Read 7018 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 04:42:43 pm »

Dear Joey,
sorry I beg to differ, I think that you are a bit optimist. I doubt that an auction house or an expert that can handle that bottle will think the same.
Dear Adrian, I am totally convinced that we are discussing on an illusion, an image that is not representing the reality. To me, your bottle is not so thin. I invite you to inspect it not in transparency, but by lightening the inside of the bottle and pay attention to the reflection of light on the inner surface, to see where it really is. Please look at the picture below. The yellow arrows are marking the inner surface of the neck, there is not the slightest doubt about this, do you agree? Inside the neck, we have just a straight hole for a short length. That we can faintly see in the pictures and it is enlightened by the yellow arrows. Now, if the dark contour is representing the thickness of the glass, enlightened by the red arrows, can you explain how such thickness switches abruptly from the yellow to red arrows? It is clearly impossible, and in fact such darker contour goes up until the top. The answer is evident and only one: that darker contour is not representing the thickness of the glass. I can see such phenomenon also in clear glass bottles; I don’t know how it originates, may be by multiple reflections between the inner and outer surface of the glass, I don’t know. But I am sure that if you will inspect carefully the bottle you will see that the real thickness is not that that we think it is in your picture.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* IMG_1200t.jpg (39.31 KB, 601x385 - viewed 29 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: