About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 08:11:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

2 plain bottles, are they too plain ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 plain bottles, are they too plain ?  (Read 6888 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 04:22:58 am »

Dear Adrian,
if you continue thinking that what you see is exactly corresponding to the real thickness, then we are speaking two different languages and we cannot understand each other. You are ignoring what I have clearly shown, you can’t ignore the evidence. Look at the picture here below. Do you think that the inside of the bottle really has that shape that we see at the base of the neck? That sudden, pronounced narrowing? It is evident that we are not seeing the reality, but a distorted image instead.
It seems also that you think that blown bottles are blown into a mould. It is not that, they are blown “on the fly” and shaped with spatulas and pliers when the glass is still malleable. That is the reason why we see inconsistencies in the curves of the shape.
What do you mean about the overlay “shou” bottle that you have shown, do you mean that the thickness of glass on the base is corresponding to the clear area? That area that starts in the lower part of the black character? If so, then you are wrong, that is not the thickness of the glass, that is just a distorted image. Please turn/tilt a bit the bottle and you will see how that “thickness” changes.
Dear Pat, sorry but I don’t understand. How you can say that you agree with my point while at the same time you believe that we are seeing the real unevenness? It makes no sense! My point is just to demonstrate, and I am convinced that I clearly have demonstrated it, that the unevenness that we see is not real, it is apparent. If you think so, then you must also believe that the sudden narrowing at the base of the neck of the bottle here below is real. The same about Adrian bottle. Why do you accept what we see at the mouth as a false image of the inner shape and believe at the same time that the image of the rest is real? It makes no sense. The point is that: we are looking at a distorted image of the inner shape, we are not looking at a cross section.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* IMG_8.jpg (23.89 KB, 496x800 - viewed 55 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: