About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 08:55:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

2 plain bottles, are they too plain ?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 plain bottles, are they too plain ?  (Read 6991 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« on: March 03, 2017, 05:33:17 pm »

Dear Pin and Adrian,
I remain with my idea that we are too easily surmising that a bottle is carved from solid block. In my opinion a carved bottle is easily identifiable. Even if perfectly polished, the surface structure is different from a normal glass surface. In this bottle for example, if you look at the surface inside the neck you can see a different surface than that of the interior. The inner neck surface has been grinded to make it perfectly round, the rest of the inner bottle not. As for the variation in thickness, remember that by looking at the bottle, the same way we see the picture, you are not looking at a cross section. A light variation in the curvature has a more or less pronounced lens effect, thus showing the thickness bigger or smaller than it is in reality. As you turn a bit the bottle, you see the apparent thickness changing. For example, in that picture if you look the thickness of the glass near the mouth, you will see that in the transparency it seems that it goes almost to zero, while indeed by looking at the top you see that the thickness is relevant there. The image below shows what I mean.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* index.php.jpg (101.58 KB, 720x600 - viewed 57 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: