About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:52:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

small unidentified IP bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: small unidentified IP bottle  (Read 1851 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: March 03, 2017, 04:12:21 pm »

Dear Rheuben,

Oh, you are killing me here!

In the late 1920s and the 1930s, Doris Duke traveled in Iraq and Syria, buying the most superb furniture inlaid with mother of pearl, silver wire and carved bone. You can see her collections in 'Shangrila', her estate on Black Point in the Kahala neighbourhood of Honolulu, HI. It is now in the possession of HoMA, and they conduct tours (you book and pay at the museum at 900 South Beretania St., and they ferry you over as a group to the estate. WELL WORTH A VISIT!).

I also have a small, modest collection of this furniture, which we in Israel call 'Damascus' furniture, after the most important centre of production (though it was a feature of Islamic furniture from Morocco in the West to Mindanao (southern Philippines) in the East. Among other treasures, I have a great 19th C. Moslem bride's dowry chest from Mindanao in my Irish home; I bought it from a Filipino tourist in Israel for US$35, and in Ireland had it in a 'place of pride' in my front porch.  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Till a Filipino friend, Eddy Jose, a world renowned scroll and art restorer, saw it, and suggested I bring in this piece, worth today over US$8,000! Immediately, I brought it inside, and placed it in my upstairs parlour, where you can see it as you come upstairs to the first floor, where 4 of the bedrooms are situated.

Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: