About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 12:26:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Carved Crystal Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Carved Crystal Snuff Bottle  (Read 409 times)
NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« on: February 21, 2017, 08:01:51 am »

Hi All,

After enjoying the pictures of Jo's wonderful crystal bottle, I thought I would post my carved bottle. I have no idea of the age. It is 3 inches tall and has a top that I believe is glass, imitating coral. This has been in my collection for years and I have no recall as to where I got it, or what I paid for it.  Any comments would be sincerely appreciated.

Best regards,

Toni-Lee

* rsz_dsc07152.jpg (0 KB - downloaded 7 times.)

* rsz_1dsc07154.jpg (85.77 KB, 974x1159 - viewed 33 times.)

* rsz_dsc07156.jpg (57.36 KB, 973x776 - viewed 23 times.)

* rsz_dsc07159.jpg (95.34 KB, 1206x979 - viewed 21 times.)

* rsz_dsc07152.jpg (108.5 KB, 921x1189 - viewed 43 times.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 08:07:36 am by NE collector » Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:25:57 am »

I love your bottle Toni-Lee.  I will be interested to hear what some of the experts here think of the age.  Thanks for posting this beauty.  Jo
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 09:37:13 pm »

Hi Toni-Lee,

That is a stellar bottle! There is a series of carved quartz crystal bottles (see examples from the Bloch collection) which incorporate a yellow inclusion into the design. Often the inclusion is of circular shape, and gets interpreted into a sun or moon, as in the case of Jo's lovely bottle. The way yours has been carved into a flower (or fruit?) is nothing short of brilliant.
The quality of carving and the mask handles, plus the overall shape of the bottle, suggest to me a tentative dating of 1780-1850. The unusually wide and rounded foot rim is another indicator. As you will have noticed, it is similar to the foot rim on Jo's bottle, and could even have been produced by the same workshop.

Tom   
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:51:28 pm »

Toni-Lee

Absolutely love this bottle!  The foot rim is so well executed on yours and Jo's that Tom may very well be right that they are from the same workshop.  I would change the stopper though (at least the collar), it doesn't fit well and detracts from the natural beauty of the bottle. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 10:37:04 pm »

Dear Tom and Pat,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and information. When I saw Jo's bottle, I was immediately smitten and hoped that the similarities in my bottle would put mine in good standing as well.  The inclusion that was worked into what I believe is a pepper plant has always put a smile on my face. I agree that the stopper does not fit. I will keep my eyes open for a replacement. Any suggestions as to what material and color would work best?

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 10:44:19 pm »

Welcome Toni-Lee

That is so much a matter of personal taste, that it might serve you well to do a poll (one of the features here in the Forum). George can help you with that or Steven. 

An another note, one thing that I was thinking about that puts a doubt in my mind about the 1780-1850 dating is that the mouth of the bottle (based on pic) is not concave (curved inward and downward), which was usually the case in hardstone bottles to accommodate the twine/wax combination used to seal the bottle.  Corks came in use much much later.  BUT it doesn't take away from the beauty of the bottle,....!!

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3430.0.html

I could not see the mouth on Jo's bottle to compare.  If you have a better pic of the mouth highlighting the mouth opening, we can be more sure...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:59:29 pm by Pat - 查尚杰 » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 12:01:08 am »

That is so much a matter of personal taste, that it might serve you well to do a poll (one of the features here in the Forum). George can help you with that or Steven. 

Hi Toni-Lee,

Here is a link to a poll I made to ask other members for their vote on choosing a stopper for me...

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,3108.msg41857.html#msg41857

It can be fun!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: