About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 09:44:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Fossiliferous limestone

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fossiliferous limestone  (Read 1359 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 12:57:47 am »

I believe I know the purchase source of this bottle, and I took a deep liking to it when I first saw it.  Please tell me it came with the black cabochon stopper.  If so I feel the black is a much more attractive.  Just my opinion.  Grin  Regardless it is a beautiful bottle.   

Charll,

Good observation. The bottle was originally catalogued with a very dark, possibly black, cabochon set in a brass collar (see below photo). When offered to me it already had the pink coral cabochon with a silver collar.

Personally, I like both stoppers, but agree with Rheuben's comment that the ring of silver dots on the collar design plays off the circular markings on the stone.

Tom   

* SB 181-b.png (166.4 KB, 358x570 - viewed 38 times.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:17:24 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 05:49:13 am »

Hi Tom,

What an elegant bottle. Mother Nature provided such a beautiful material and the black stopper really enhances the whole effect. I've never seen this material before. Thank you for sharing.

Best,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 08:35:37 am »

Dear Toni-Lee,

Do you have the late Bob Stevens' book on snuff bottles? It features 1800 bottles, I believe. He had a big group of this type, which I disparagingly called 'Ballast' bottles, when the late Eric Young bought what seemed dozens of them at the Bob Stevens Sale #4 or #5, in Sotheby's NYC during the 1982 ICSBS NYC convention.

I never liked the type, but got roped in by Eric of blessed memory, to help him carry them, and the other 150-170 Stevens bottles he bought at that auction (he bought ±90% of the catalogue, basically everything but what I, Rick on the Forum, the late Bill Griswold, and Virginia Rice, wanted for ourselves. He did not bid against us, his friends).

And then he was going to take the bus! I sprang for the taxi back to the Waldorf from the York Ave. address of Sotheby's NYC.

Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:25:56 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 09:24:35 am »

Can't say enough how beautiful these fossiliferous bottles are... Really nice !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
ileney

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 11:54:57 am »

Lovely material and lovely bottle. Thank you for sharing.
Report Spam   Logged

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 05:16:44 pm »

Hi Joey,

I do have Bob Steven's book. I haven't looked at it in a while and this is a good time to do so.
As I live in New England, we are in the middle of a Nor'easter that is about to dump about 18 inches of snow and 70 mile an hour winds on us before the day is over. Thank you for reminding me of this book.

A great story. Sounds like you got the heavy load. Thank goodness you took a taxi! What a sale that must have been...

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 10:19:15 pm »

Dear Tom,

Wonderful bottle! I am with Toni-lee that the black stopper really enhanced the bottle. Love it.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 10:41:27 pm »

When offered to me it already had the pink coral cabochon with a silver collar.

Tom, it's one thing to change out the stopper yourself, but if I made the purchase form the online catalog I would have been expecting the black stopper.  Bummer that you did not get the back one as well!

Charll   
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:12 pm »

Tom, it's one thing to change out the stopper yourself, but if I made the purchase form the online catalog I would have been expecting the black stopper.  Bummer that you did not get the back one as well!

Charll,

To be fair to the dealer in question, a full set of photos was sent to me when I first enquired after this bottle. The pink coral stopper was already in place. I didn't question it since I actually preferred the silver collar to the brass one, and the pink cabochon added some colour to the black-and-grey bottle. 

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 11:22:14 pm »

Tom, understand and no "dig" at the dealer was intended or inferred.  I just love the bottle in its black hat!!  Cheesy  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2017, 11:52:24 pm »

Thank you all for your inputs.

It looks like I have been out-voted on the stopper!  Sad

Since I have a few black cabochons at home, if I can find one the right size I will try it out, and see how it looks. 

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 11:49:55 am »

Dear Toni-Lee,

Yup, I got the heavy lifting job... Roll Eyes Grin
There were something like 250 bottles in the sale (Richard, you must have the Oct.1982 Stevens Sale catalogue from Sotheby's NY; how many lots actually were there?), and between the four of us, I think we got 16 or 20 snuff bottles and snuff dishes. And Eric got 230+ ! 

Lots of collectors were disgusted, but it turned out Eric died in Jan.1984, and he was rushing to buy while he still had the physical energy to do so.  Eric left an estate of UK£ 56 million, divided chiefly between the Eric Young Orchid Centre on Jersey, UK, another Orchid Centre in Palm Beach FL., USA, and the St. Helier's Museum, so that they could properly protect and display his beloved snuff bottle collection, which got to about 3,000 bottles between 1978 and  mid-Jan.1984, when he passed away.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: