About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:28:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Old cinnabar snuff bottle?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Old cinnabar snuff bottle?  (Read 2481 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: February 04, 2017, 11:09:49 am »

Dear Elisha,

First of all, your photos are TOO BIG! I've been downloading them and then looking at them.

Now, as to your Cinnabar Lacquer SB. It is ca. 1830-1880, and a nice example. If it had a reign mark, I'd be dubious, but it seems fine re.age. There are condition issues (chips in the mouth rim, etc.), but it looks nice, as an example.

It is such a pleasure to see genuine snuff bottles (ie., bottles made during the 'classical snuff taking period in China, ca.1600-1900), even though I've been slowly converted to admiring modern SBs from some striking examples posted on the Forum, especially a group of Opal bottles posted by another new member on the Forum, and another bottle, a modern overlay glass posted by yet another new member!

Before seeing that one, the only modern (ca. 1950-2010) overlay glass bottles that impressed me and caused me to covet them, were two made for Mao Zedong to give as gifts to Honoured Foreign Friends of the PRC. They were carved with what looked like classic 18th C. continuous landscapes in rich ruby red glass on camphor (also called 'snowflake') glass; but with power lines and a power station on the Yangze River in the landscape!

One, I was actually offered as 18th C., by a HK dealer in 1981, for US$1,800! And stupidly, I was scathing when I found the power station and power lines in the design! It actually didn't 'click' till later, that it was an extremely rare Cultural Revolution period overlay glass, and even then, easily worth as much as a genuine 18th C. example. 

Today, it would be worth a fraction of the price of an 18th C. example.
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:44:05 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: