About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 12:04:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

SNUFF BOTTLES MENTIONED IN CHINESE MYSTERY NOVEL!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SNUFF BOTTLES MENTIONED IN CHINESE MYSTERY NOVEL!  (Read 436 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: March 26, 2017, 08:22:50 am »

Dear Toni-Lee & Rheuben,

Yes, the books are well written, and the chief protagonist does love to cook, though it seems he loves to eat more!  Grin Roll Eyes  He cooks a lot relatively, because he is single. But I have had a thought of planning a tour based on the restaurants and dishes he eats in the different places he goes to while on his cases (Shanghai & environs; Suzhou; Hangzhou; Wuxi; Beijing; Guangzhou; in the PRC (These I remember offhand; there might be more...). And LA & environs; St. Louis, MO; and possibly other places, in the USA.

And Inspector Chen inspired me!
    A few weeks ago, I was hungry. In the refrigerator, I had boiled rice from a few days earlier, as well as raw eggs, prepared meats, sliced dill pickles from the USA, baby red, orange and yellow sweet peppers (capsicums for UK/Aussie/Kiwi folks),and mango & tamarind chutney.

I chopped up 90 grams of corned beef and beef shoulder, and fried them in a TBL of olive oil, added in a beaten egg, shredded it as it cooked, added in the 200 grams of already boiled rice and the 3 chopped up peppers, and 2 minutes before I removed it from the heat, some chopped up dill pickle slices and some spices (Baharat, an Arab compound spice; sweet paprika; black pepper; I figured there was enough salt from the meats, and from the soy sauce I was going to add), and after 2 minutes, removed from the heat. I added a TBL of the chutney and 1/2 tsp of soy sauce, put it in a rice bowl, got out a pair of chopsticks, and had a Sino-Jewish meal!  Grin Roll Eyes Shocked

Best,

Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: