About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 06:26:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Forum etiquette

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum etiquette  (Read 333 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: January 24, 2017, 06:26:29 pm »

Hello  All,

Please  could I make a very sincere and earnest request as we enter the Year of the Rooster?

There have been complaints from several members about how some of us go much too far in the  way we write on the Forum.  In fact it often seems that many serious topics get cluttered up with all sorts of personal stuff to the extent that they look more like personal blogs.

The signal-to-noise ratio on specific topics should be 100%. Sadly, it sometimes barely gets above 10%  because of personal-blog-type stuff mixed up with specific technical-snuff-bottle related comments and that is NOT how this Forum should  be.

This is not only driving away long-term members, but it also discourages new members.

Could I therefore  please   request  that we should ALL keep  strictly to the point when posting on specific topics ?

That  means:  NO personal stuff, NO what-I-did-today-news, NO gossip, NO jokes, NO politics, NO religion .... NOTHING except pure snuff bottles

Please let's "keep  it professional",by which I mean that any newbie logging into the Forum for the first time would  find "snuff  bottles, only snuff bottles and nothing but snuff bottles" when he/she clicks onto any specific topic.

However, if the newbie clicks onto the Lounge then he/she would of course find a lot of fun and personal news  - and that's  very good, because it shows that the  Forum can be fun and a means of social exchange between members, besides the more serious (and increasingly costly !) shared hobby of collecting snuff bottles.

So we do our collecting and Forum postings very seriously.

Then we hang out in the Lounge and that's where we share our chit-chat and general personal  news.

If any of us want to share personal stuff (jokes, fun, feelings, what-I-did-today-news, politics (THE TRUMP!) , religion, songs, poems, art-in-general,  seasons wishes  etc ) there's only one place to do so which is The Lounge.

Do I have a seconder for this  motion? I do hope  so !

Cheers

Peter

PS: And on a related  matter - if  any of us do have  something personal to say to someone else, there's also only one place to do this, which is the private message section of the  Forum.
The private message function works excellently. The recipient immediately gets an email alert  that there is a message waiting and  as soon as one logs onto the Forum the message bar  flashes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:28:57 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:25:06 pm »

I think we all do pretty well ..  I feel as though it is opposite our natural human desire which is to include a touch of personalization while communicating.

I can not say that there has been any religious, political, or other "off topic" comments added to our posts. I do enjoy getting to know members and what is going on in their lives by seeing a little additional personalizing to posts.

I do not think we should confuse perfectly natural personalized comments with what your post, and the messages I have been getting is really about Peter. Which is to point out that we frown greatly upon brow beating , and name calling of other members.

It's a simple forum rule..  "Be nice to others when playing here" ..  Consider good communication skills that include , "constructive criticism"..  Certainly not name calling or other harsh and unnecessary comments.

I recall catching myself the other day commenting about trump, which was ignored by others as I am sure they know that I do not normally talk about delicate subjects like politics or religion. 

We are all human... I would rather not make things here so restrictive that members can not type as  spontaneously as they choose so that we might get a peek into who they really are..

I am going to stick to my guns and remind everyone that this is a public forum.  You can say anything, and about anyone you wish.. "Just be prepared to be held accountable for what you say".. Another member may well call you out for a comment, and hopefully that will be done with the same "constructive criticism" attitude that I mentioned above.  That is how successful social media venues like this forum operate.. Or at least they should operate...  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 02:46:41 am »

Dear Peter,

I'm going to try my hardest to keep to your guidelines. And you are right - this Forum is and should be about snuff bottles, first and foremost.

Dear George,

I appreciate your very mild direction even more.
It's just that certain things (like even jokingly suggesting the assassination of a new president of a democracy) push my buttons, as they were intended to by the writer, and I react.
Tom has given me some advice in how to deal with it in future, and I want to apologise to any innocent bystanders who suffered from the 'collateral damage'.

Dear Tom,

Thank you again. Your advice was 'golden'.
Best to (almost) all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 03:46:35 am »

Hi George,

Thanks for your wise words and  constructive reply  to what I wrote.

Your  points are well taken from my side

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: