About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:20:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Two Malachite bottles

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Malachite bottles  (Read 1964 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 03:49:16 pm »

Hi Rube,

I think Luke has it right. I queried it because the surface texture around the neck where there is less carving looked rougher than Malachite which seems to take a good smooth polish.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 02:17:41 am »

Adrian and Joey,

I agree with the chloromelanite assessment. This bottle definitely exhibits different levels of luster especially the lighter areas.  Interested to learn that this metamorphic rock wasn't classified until the early 60's. Oh well, guess I need to add malachite to my wish list, too.

Cheers,

Rube.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:25:38 am by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 06:31:59 am »

Yeah, Adrian called it when he noticed it wasn't malachite.... Interesting material chloromelanite, which is essentially jadeite? And according to wiki, a dark green jade... I think I much prefer this material to malachite though Rube Smiley

Is the Bonham's auction you refer to in New York in September? I can't seem to see any of the upcoming lots though..

Cheers
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 06:52:02 am »

Dear Rube,

The bottle really looks beautifully carved to me. If it had not already been in your grandmother's collection in 1952, I would probably have gone along with George's opinion that it was later. In fact, I'd have said 1980s/1990s. But the 1952 purchase date means it is probably closer to 1920-1935, because of the sophisticated design and quality of carving.

I'm glad it is not Malachite, because the markings would detract from the carving, and the carving would detract from the markings.
I love plain Malachite bottles with good markings.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 11:07:48 am »

Joey,

Thanks for help with the dating of the bottle.  I really like the carving on it, too.  And, I'm going to keep my eye out for a plain malachite bottle with nice markings.

Luke,
It's weird, because, I scrolled thru the auction items on Monday, and yes, they have temporarily disappeared. Not sure why?  The auction is scheduled for Sept. 11, I think.

George,
Per scratch test, it is not easily scratched, yet again confirming it to not be malachite. 

Cheers,
Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2019, 10:11:03 am »

Sharing a malachite bottle. This bottle is small - maybe 4-5cms high (sorry I'm at work, so best guess). I originally dismissed this bottle, as it came in a lot and I was never the biggest malachite fan, but it feels really nice to hold in the hand - very much like a small pebble. It's quite heavy and the hollowing is sufficient to hold snuff IMO, but not well hollowed. It has a concave foot and if you look at the photos I've highlighted an area where there is a large indent in the side of the bottle as if the carver simply worked his way around the shape of the stone. Any opinions on age on this one please?

Best
Luke
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 01:51:08 am by pookles » Report Spam   Logged

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 04:12:01 pm »

Hi Luke,

My instinct goes towards newer from the carving and shape but Malachite is an attractive material to me.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 02:11:29 am »

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your comment. That was initially my first instinct too and I think you are likely right about that. Yeah, I made an early mistake on a malachite bottle when I first started collecting and it weirdly put me off - I paid a bit for it. I think I’m finding the love again as I like this one even though it’s not an old one Smiley

Best
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 04:51:07 pm »

I agree - this bottle is ca. 1950s to 1970s, a period when the PRC needed foreign currency, and was importing minerals cheaply to produce craft items for export.

From the early 1950s to the mid-1960s, the USSR was supplying malachite and Lapis Lazuli material from the Urals. From the mid-1960s till the end of the construction of the Tan-Zam Railroad, they were getting Malachite material from Zambia, along with Ruby Zoisite matrix. That's why we see so many simply but pleasingly carved bottles from these materials from this time frame [1950-1976].

Whoever has YF Yang & Co catalogues from ca. 1968 to 1978, will see lots of bottles on offer.
Let me see if I can find some to post.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2019, 04:03:29 am »

Dear Joey,

I've been on holiday for a few weeks, so apologies for the lack of reply. As ever, thanks very much for the detailed info. I'll try and hunt down some of the catalogues you mention, so I can have a look for myself. Glad to hear you are well again after reading a few of the other posts on the forum.

Best,
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 02:13:11 pm »

Dear Luke,

No problem.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged