About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 12:11:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Huge Ivory Column Bottle - intricately carved

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge Ivory Column Bottle - intricately carved  (Read 2633 times)
cshapiro

« on: January 22, 2017, 12:23:43 pm »

Thank you all for this great information about ivory bottles.

Adrian, I see what you mean about #757 in Bob Stevens book. If Kleiner is correct then we should be able to find some examples carved just in ivory. The closest I can find is #0.10 in The Marquess of Exeter book. Even though it's in lacquer, I also think #0.28 might be an example.

If I had to compare my Thai bottle to a bottle in Stevens book, I would compare it to #766. From my limited experience these types of bottles don't come up to auction very often. I was lucky to get them. I was actually at the auction and there was a computer glitch where they had to stop online bidding. If it weren't for that, I think these bottles would have been out of reach for me. Wink

Pat, I was told these bottles were made in China for the Thai market, but since there is so little information I don't know what to think. I don't have access to pictures from John Ault's collection but will see if I can find a book.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:42:25 pm by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: