About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 01:30:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Visit to HK Central Library

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Visit to HK Central Library  (Read 815 times)
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« on: January 17, 2017, 06:29:39 pm »

Dear all,

Something to share with you here, I took the opportunity of knocking off work early on Monday to visit the central public library here in HK. It has a sizeable collection of snuff bottle books and catalogs, but most of them are not for loan which means one may either read them in the library or make copies of them with the photocopying facilities there.

I haven't gone through all the books, but among them I saw works by the late Robert Kleiner. There were also catalogs by Clare Chu. The bottles showcased in those books and catalogs are phenomenal. I wish I may have even just one of them in my collection. I even found a book by Clare on the exhibition of snuff bottles from Californian collectors at LACMA held in conjunction with the Society's Convention in LA two months ago. That's probably the latest publication on snuff bottles. I also found Joey's "Worlds in a Bottle" there.

Since most of those books are not available for loan, I could only make color copy for few pages for my own filing and reference.

There was one special book, by Michael J. Kaynes, called "A Snuff Bottle Miscellany Volume 1" published in 1974 that had been stored in their rare book collection which is hidden away from the public (not on open shelves, but on can be found via the library's online search system) kept in a special plastic box. It was only available upon request. I was only allowed to handle it and read it in a special room for viewing rare books and I had to sterilize my hands with alcohol napkin provided by the library before touching it, as if it was a piece of antique treasure. How precious! Shocked

In any case, I feel so blessed that we have such rich and useful resources easily accessible by interested individuals and the general public in our city! It's such a privilege!

Best to all,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cshapiro

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:21:30 pm »

Wow! How wonderful Samson! I have never thought to search local libraries for information. I'm sure ours won't have anywhere near the resources you found. Very happy for you, and thanks for sharing. I hope you can enlighten us all with your newfound wisdom!

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 09:19:11 pm »

Very good Samson !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 10:30:51 pm »

Samson

Good to know of the resources available and will have to keep it in mind when I eventually get to HK.  I do like to hang in the old archive rooms of libraries.  Love poring through old reference books and old maps. 

Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:31:31 am »

Thanks guys!

My 2 hour experience in the central library reminded me of my student life in college (which was about 5 years ago)... The library in my university is equally impressive and resourceful, and I had a lot more free time in between lectures and seminars to visit the library than I have today (certainly most of the time spent in the library back then was for academic assignments and projects). How I wish I can indulge myself in poring through books of my favorite subjects for the entire day in the library! Doesn't that sound lavish? Wink

Charll, let me know when you do come, would be glad to show you around!

Best to all,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 02:00:35 pm »

Dear Samson,

Did the Library collection have my 1987 catalogue and 1989 addendum? What about Robert Kleiner's "In Search of a Dragon"? If not, let me know and I will send copies for them to you.
Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

cshapiro

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:54:18 pm »

Joey your 1987 catalog is always a valuable resource. Very thankful you sent it to me! Many thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 10:23:16 pm »

Dear Cathy,

My pleasure. Enjoy it in good health.
Best,
Joey

Joey your 1987 catalog is always a valuable resource. Very thankful you sent it to me! Many thanks
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 07:35:59 am »

Dear Samson,

Did the Library collection have my 1987 catalogue and 1989 addendum? What about Robert Kleiner's "In Search of a Dragon"? If not, let me know and I will send copies for them to you.
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

So far I only see "Worlds in a Bottle" on the shelf.. Let me check the library catalog and see if they have "In Search of a Dragon". It seems they have a procedure for donation of books. Here's the link for your reference. https://www.hkpl.gov.hk/en/about-us/collection-develop/donation.html

It shouldn't be too complicated to do that I think.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 10:30:03 am »

Dear Joey,

I've checked the library catalog. The HK public library network hasn't got "In Search of a Dragon", your 1987 catalog and the 1989 addendum.

Best,
Samson

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 01:13:03 pm »

Dear Samson,

There might be a problem - the donation form demands the signatures of anyone with any sort of right to the material.

Stupidly in 1987 and in 1989, I agreed to joint copyright control with the photographer over the 1987 and then 1989 publications. And "In Search of a Dragon' was written and published by Robert Kleiner, though I paid for it.  I did have control over printing more copies though, so I assume I have editorial control. especially since Robert Kleiner is gone.

Is there any way you could check if the Public library will accept them if I send them the 3 publications?
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: