About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:14:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Public consultation on the establishment of a HK chapter of the Palace Museum

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Public consultation on the establishment of a HK chapter of the Palace Museum  (Read 631 times)
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« on: January 05, 2017, 06:14:48 pm »

Dear all,

I was thrilled about the recent news that the HK government announced their decision to build a Hong Kong branch of Palace Museum in collaboration with the Peking Palace Museum (PPM), which is expected to showcase over 1,000 pieces of exhibits from PPM as permanent exhibition (for 3 years or more at a time, an arrangement under special exemption from the current PRC law that no artifact classified as first class national treasure shall be on loan for more than 3 months).

Sadly, the excitement was soon met by setbacks in the project and concerns. The HK government has been under constant public criticism over its initial decision to skip public consultation for the project and had yesterday decided to conduct a 6 week public consultation for it (a concern group has recently lodged an application to court for a judicial review over the government's action), while many people are protesting against the idea for the sake of protesting (as they are dissatisfied about the government, they're also against any idea introduced by the government, no matter its merits. Some have even gone so far to challenge that behind the idea of establishing such a museum is a vicious intent to "brainwash" the HK people to become more patriotic towards PRC, and that it is a collusion between the Beijing central government and HK government.). How foolish is that?!

The thing is, it isn't even planned to be built with taxpayer's money, it's to be funded by the Jockey Club, a financially abundant gambling/charity organization (yes, sin and charity do go hand in hand in HK) invested by gamblers who willfully place bets on horse racing, soccer gambling, lottery, etc. And its planned to be built on a land reserved for cultural purpose (the pro self-determination activists are of the view that nothing of "China" should see its promotion in HK).

Sad to see that the HK government seems to be holding back on it. Seems like there're still many uncertainties ahead. I am concerned...

HK people! Don't you think we deserve a world class museum finally?

Best,
Samson
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:32:28 pm by samsonlzj » Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:44:09 pm »

Samson

This is good but sad news at the same time.  There seems to be way too much paranoia around this HK/PRC debate (if it even really is a debate... I think it is water under the bridge, frankly...).  Sad that culture and politics got mixed up as well, not only sin and charity...

A word of friendly caution on posting this in the clear and public. Big brother is always watching, especially in this case!  
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:46:20 pm by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:02:38 pm »

Dear Pat,

I agree that there's way too much paranoia about the issue this time around. And it's always a shame when culture and politics get mixed up.

I take your caution, but think that big brother would side with me on this matter as they've been the driving force for this project. Had they not approved it, HK wouldn't have been granted the exception for housing PPM artifacts as permanent exhibits. If we share the same idea over who big brother is...  Wink

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 11:48:13 pm »

Agreed....

And it is a cryin' shame
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 02:35:35 am »

Dear Samson,

I agree with you 100% over the project, but wonder why the museum in the PRC's capital is not called the BPM (Beijing Palace Museum), rather than the PPM (Peking Palace Museum).

I've got news for you: EVERYWHERE, 'sin' and charity are linked.  The 'sin' is grudgingly permitted, since it enables the charity to help the less fortunate. Look at lotteries worldwide; look at taxes on 'sin' such as alcohol and tobacco (and harder drugs if, G-D Forbid, they are permitted); etc.

There are stupid people, and sometimes evil people with some agenda, who protest good things for no logical or genuine reason.
If the land was earmarked for cultural pursuits, and the funding is not from the public purse, then the government should stand its ground. And truly public-minded people should demand that the nay-sayers 'get out of the way'.

I agree that the 'Powers That Be' should be on your side in this.
Best Wishes, and I hope for success in the HK branch of the BPM/PPM,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 07:08:44 am »

Dear Joey,

Yes, Beijing is the official and more common spelling for the capital these days. It's based on the modern Hanyu Pinyin system. So you're right, it's supposed to be known as Beijing Palace Museum (BPM). I just happened to feel like using Peking because it sounds older and more traditional somehow. It's an early romanization of the city's name.

Let's hope that the public consultation will turn in favor of the museum.

Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Samson

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:31:40 pm »

Dear Samson,

Except for 'The Duck', I always use Beijing, because this romanization sounds like the Chinese name in Putong-hua / Beijing-hua.
If you are going to Peking, which is the ridiculous Wade/Giles version, why not go to 'Peiping', of the Republic of China?
Or Yanjing, used in 1215 by Genghis Khan? Or Dadu, the Yuan Dynasty capital's name?
Or Beijing (good enough for the Ming Yongle Emperor)?

Time   Used Name   Event
1215 (Yuan Dynasty)   Yanjing   Occupied by Mongolia leader Genghis khan
1272 (Yuan Dynasty)   Dadu     As capital city of a united country for the first time
1368 (Ming Dynasty)   Beiping   Ming Dynasty established
1403 (Ming Dynasty)   Beijing   Emperor Yongle changed the name to Beijing

Just pulling your chain! Call it whatever you like.  Grin Roll Eyes
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Yes, Beijing is the official and more common spelling for the capital these days. It's based on the modern Hanyu Pinyin system. So you're right, it's supposed to be known as Beijing Palace Museum (BPM). I just happened to feel like using Peking because it sounds older and more traditional somehow. It's an early romanization of the city's name.

Let's hope that the public consultation will turn in favor of the museum.

Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Samson

Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 06:20:26 pm »

Dear Joey,

Thanks for pulling my chain. Smiley What about Shuntian Fu (順天府, Shuntian Prefecture)? It's also been used during part of Ming and whole of Qing? But I've been confused between this and Beijing, did both the names coexist? Huh

I just woke up seeing the news that some people have even started to complain commercials/advertisements put up by the government to promote the ongoing Palace series exhibition in HK, claiming them to be propaganda for the government's brainchild of HK Palace Museum... Frankly I don't see an issue here. If we have an ongoing exhibition here, why can't we advertise it and let people know about it? This is marketing, a proper move. As a matter of fact, had I not seen one of the posters in the local subway system, I wouldn't have known about the exhibition, let alone visiting it earlier this week! Sigh...

Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Samson
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 11:50:38 pm by samsonlzj » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 03:10:07 am »

Dear Samson,

Google Shuntian Fu and you can read about the evolution of the names/areas of authority.

Re. the ridiculous morons demonstrating; there are such morons everywhere. The Communists used to call them "Useful Idiots".
The ones in England, USA, Canada who demonstrated against 'Nuclear Insanity' (weapon development & locating weapons in the UK, etc.), but only that practiced by the Western Democratic regimes; G-D Forbid they should demonstrate against the Soviet Union or the PRC.

I find it ironic that the Commie tactic of Agit/Prop (Agitation/Propaganda) is now biting the Chi-Coms on the butt.
BUT, you should realise that certain people believe that " I Demonstrate, Therefore I Exist"! They are useless morons, who don't DO anything constructive; they just attack others' contribution.

We have a saying in Israel, about nay-sayers and doctrinaire complainers/protesters: "The dogs bark, and the patrol continues and completes its mission".

The trick is to not let the dogs'  barking distract the patrol from completing its mission. And mobilising the rank and file people in support of this wonderful plan is a great thing to do, to show that the vast majority don't agree with the destructive tiny minority.

I think that the PRC government (When will they return the country to its proper name, "CHINA" ?!) is doing something very admirable, sharing Chinese art treasures with those on the periphery, so that people may be enriched culturally thereby, without having to go to the capital.  When I visited the PRC, I admired the museums in Xian, Shanghai, Nanjing, Suzhou and Wuxi, besides those in Beijing itself. This is a very enlightened policy.

Interestingly, the gov't of Taiwan has also invested in such a policy, building a fine museum in the south of the island.

Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Thanks for pulling my chain. Smiley What about Shuntian Fu (順天府, Shuntian Prefecture)? It's also been used during part of Ming and whole of Qing? But I've been confused between this and Beijing, did both the names coexist? Huh

I just woke up seeing the news that some people have even started to complain commercials/advertisements put up by the government to promote the ongoing Palace series exhibition in HK, claiming them to be propaganda for the government's brainchild of HK Palace Museum... Frankly I don't see an issue here. If we have an ongoing exhibition here, why can't we advertise it and let people know about it? This is marketing, a proper move. As a matter of fact, had I not seen one of the posters in the local subway system, I wouldn't have known about the exhibition, let alone visiting it earlier this week! Sigh...

Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Samson
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:57:11 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 10:55:57 am »

Dear Joey,

Let's hope the patrol will get through and complete its mission eventually. And I hope the society will recognize the merits of such a project and vote in favor of it. May justice be done.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 11:54:28 am »

Dear Samson,

Amen to that.
     But know that the majority in almost any society are good people; and they recognise good when it is done. But they sometimes get drowned out by the professional agitators/sh*t stirrers.

So make your support known among your friends and family etc. Individuals CAN make a difference, for good or ill. So make a difference for good. To quote G-D (and is there any Power more worth quoting?!): "I Show you today the path of righteousness and life, and the path of evil and death; therefore, choose Life!"

The prophet Jeremiah ben Hilkia HaKohen, of Anatot in the tribal territory of Benjamin, just N/NE of Jerusalem,
wrote, "Request (work for) for the peace of your city".

Have a good week (A traditional Jewish blessing after Shabbat ends)
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Let's hope the patrol will get through and complete its mission eventually. And I hope the society will recognize the merits of such a project and vote in favor of it. May justice be done.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 06:55:17 pm »

Dear Joey,

That's so true! Thank you very much!

You have a good week too!
Best,