About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:34:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The last bottle I'm showcasing before 2016 ends

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The last bottle I'm showcasing before 2016 ends  (Read 1722 times)
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 05:44:35 pm »

Hi Samson,

Sorry I missed the thread during my off time. To me, the bottle looks right to me altho not the top quality Yangzhou bottle.

1st of all, the colors are right which is key factor for me to judge a old bottle or a new bottle, the new artificial colors made now days are different from the colors from the old days.
2nd the shape and tao tie masks look right, the overall shape are perfect matched with the 19th yangzhou overlay, so are the mask ring, the master rings of the modern bottle tend to be made complicated than the simple style of the old bottle, one example from Giovanni shared the modern overlay has a very typical modern mask ring.
3rd, the black dots from the body is a good sign of 19th bottle, the glass quality from 19th is not as good as the bottles from 18th, we can normally see some black dots here are there, but that matches the 19th date.
The last one is carving, somehow the carving is not the best example of 19th bottle, some of carving is not perfect polished,  and some area is kinda flat looking instead of being looked more 3d dimensional, but we still can be at same spots the technique being used are the old techniques.

So overall I think the bottle is decent 19th Yangzhou bottle. Its just my thought tho.

-Givoanni

Love your Yangzhou bottle, yours seem have better quality on the glass and carving. very nice example. Congratulations!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: