About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 10:08:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Auction House Lost my Bottle!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Auction House Lost my Bottle!  (Read 1766 times)
cshapiro

« on: December 12, 2016, 03:32:01 pm »

I bought a lot of three snuff bottles recently from Holly Auctions. Take a look at it here and you will see exactly why I bought the lot.
https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/49472460_three-chinese-snuff-bottles

I paid for the lot that same day, and then emailed them three times about shipping the bottles. Finally when I got no response I had to google map it to find a UPS store nearby, and contracted with them to pick up and ship. So today I get an email from the UPS guy that the auction house had "lost" my bottles.

I am furious! No phone call or email from the auction house, so I call them and they say they will refund my money and that this just "happens."

What is my recourse or do I even have any?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:07:03 pm by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:23:58 pm »

That is pretty bad Cathy...

Thanks for sharing the experience and auction house..

Although, maybe count your blessings... Pretty poor bottles..  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 04:47:33 pm »

I really wanted the middle bottle. There's one similar in Hidden Treasures of the Dragon number 20 that's made of glass and there's the possibility that it's coral.  See: https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/16167666_19th-century-chinese-coral-snuff-bottle

I may be mistaken, but I thought ownership of the bottle goes to the buyer when the hammer falls. And was wondering if I had recourse to file a police report?

If I refused the refund and filed a police report then the item could be recovered if it came back up at auction right?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:53:37 pm by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 05:15:52 pm »

I really wanted the middle bottle. There's one similar in Hidden Treasures of the Dragon number 20 that's made of glass and there's the possibility that it's coral.  See: https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/16167666_19th-century-chinese-coral-snuff-bottle

You may be correct, but from the pics could be glass imitating, or even resin. If there were macro pics for that one you may have been able to tell better.

What ever you decide to do with the auction house, wish you luck..  Keep us up to date !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:43:40 pm »

Cathy,

This happened once to me as well.  The bottle was not lost, but awarded to an under bidder because the auctioneer claimed to feel sorry for the guy. The guy was in the room (a floor bidder) and the auctioneer claimed that he was an older gentleman bidding all day on items and coming up short.  The lot I was awarded was a realgar glass bottle toward the end of the auction that I was the top bidder with $50.   I was informed that I was high bidder by email and went to pay online the day after the auction.  At that time I was told that the bottle was awarded to this other gentleman who paid $50 and walked out with the bottle right after the auction.  I was pissed as well, but there was nothing I or the auction house could do after the fact. 

I'm sure the auction houses have themselves covered with the fine print of the bidding agreement.  So for an amount so low it was not worth pursuing.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

cshapiro

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 09:38:17 pm »

Thanks for sharing your story Charll. That's worse than mine! I know I've read that the auctioneer can show preference to the floor bidders but they do have to actually outbid you!  I would be super upset if I lost a realgar too... and for $50! Wow!

I have now been shafted two times - the first time a different auction house said serpentine was jade and when I called them they said "tough" and now this "lost" story.

I just have the sneaking suspicion they decided it went too cheap and changed their mind about releasing it to me.

Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 09:25:14 am »

I don't see why you bid on the lot, quite frankly. I agree with George.
Be happy you did NOT get the three low quality bottles, and save your money for a better bottle.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: