About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:14:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Ye Zhongsan Fish

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ye Zhongsan Fish  (Read 2908 times)
cshapiro

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 07:29:48 pm »

Thanks very much Pin and Toni-Lee! Toni-Lee you have been posting some beautiful bottles too... Hope to see more of your collection!

Oh and if you use facebook there is a page called "Collecting Chinese Snuff Bottles" there where I have been trying to create an audio visual experience - hahaha

I've been putting my "good" bottles to music, so for example on this one I posted Ella Fitzgerald singing Let's Do It (Let's fall in Love) where the lyrics contain a fun line ...
"Goldfish in the privacy of bowls do it.. "

So if you do facebook, here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421584778104948/

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:42:33 pm by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 07:43:50 pm »

I just saw this new bottle here on the forum after just commenting to it on Facebook..

Pin and Cathy corrected my belief that Ye Zhongsan only painted fish bottles with five different kinds of fish.. It was shared with me that he did not paint less than that ..  So I learned something new today !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 07:57:59 pm »

My Ye Zhongsan "bible" of sorts is The Apricot Grove Studio on e-yagi. Wish I could get my hands on a real copy! I know it's a compilation of articles from the ICSBS, but can't seem to figure out if it's ever been published.

Will share it here as well:

http://www.e-yaji.com/books/articles/The%20Apricot%20Grove%20Studio/files/assets/basic-html/page38.html

Page 39 starts the discussion on his fish bottles and there are several examples (all very poor images sadly).
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 09:36:56 pm »

Hi Cathy

Beautiful bottle!  Congrats.... 

The Ye 'bible' has never been published to my knowledge.  Only in ICSBS journals or online as you say...

I am not aware of anyone in my contact group having a scan of it either so it can be printed.  If someone does, please let me know.  Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

cshapiro

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 10:44:34 pm »

Thanks Pat!

I've been trying to buy up the journals - but have a really hard time finding them. I have the Spring 1985 issue and the Autumn 1985 issues which have Part II - The Artists after 1949 and Part III - Enameled Glass Wares. I plan to be patient and try to collect them all! I am one third there!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:46:34 pm by cshapiro » Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 05:16:19 am »

Congratulations Cathy, you got yourself a nice Ye fish crystal bottle! I gave this one a bid actually but decided not to bid too hard for it as I had my eyes on few other bottles after that auction. Just one thing, I don't really fancy the stopper. I'd have it replaced if I were you... Roll Eyes

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 07:26:01 am »

Cathy,

As I'm new to this forum, and searching through past threads, I've enjoyed many of yours because you ask such great questions, which unleash so much information! 
I, too, like your Ye Fish Bottle, thanks for sharing it.  And, thanks for sharing the link on
FB, as I will check this out too.

Cheers,

Rheuben.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

cshapiro

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 10:46:03 am »

Dear Samson, I think we have similar taste in bottles! I am sorry to hear I was bidding against you again. I think to save each other money in the future maybe you let me know when you have your heart set on a Ye Zhongsan bottle and I will leave it alone. You are probably the reason I paid so much for this one! I'm not joking... let's really do that cause I can promise you that if another one comes up (especially a magpies or another fish) that I will be bidding.

On the top, I actually like it but welcome discussion on what would be a good replacement. Wink

Hey Rheuben, welcome to this addiction we call snuff bottle collecting. I am fairly new too, having just bought my first bottle in June of 2016 - and only then by accident. I was actually buying a beautiful inlay box, and inside were some of the most beautiful creations I had ever seen. I forgot about the box, and began a love affair with the bottles. 

I don't know how the addiction will affect you - I look at it like smoking - some people are able to smoke a cigarette a week, others smoke a pack a day. I don't smoke cigarettes, but using the analogy, I am a pack a day snuff bottle collector. haha

So welcome and I look forward to hearing more about you.

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 04:21:50 pm »

Cathy,

What a fantastic surprise to find bottles in an inlaid box, that's hilarious!

As for the addiction, I definitely have an addictive personality, thank goodness, I don't smoke!  But for me it's probably like wine. Sometimes, I casually drink a little more than I should and I wake up feeling bad.  Instead, what I really ought to do is drink less often, and save up for a really nice bottle, and savor it during a special occasion. It's kinda the same with snuff bottles.  I'm quite fortunate to have inherited a few from my mother, and have since felt the strong urge to began buying some of my own. Most of these have turned out to be dogs.  And, when I do try to hold out for what I think is a nice snuff bottle at auction, it always seems as if the bidding goes through the roof! 

So, I've enjoyed this forum thus far, have learned lots, and also get the added benefit of vicariously enjoying the bottles of others, such as your fish bottle painted inside rutilated crystal, too fabulous!

Cheers,

Rheuben.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

NE collector

Woman of the West, with Eyes on the East

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 07:19:52 pm »

Hi Cathy,

Thank you for your kind words. I don't do FB, but what a great idea to include music to show your bottles. Great musical selection for this bottle! This has been an informative thread. Enjoyed it very much and learned quite a bit.

Best regards,

Toni-Lee
Report Spam   Logged

Toni-Lee

cshapiro

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »

Thank you so much Rheuben and Toni-Lee!

Rheuben your mom must have been fantastic! I bet it's lovely to have these precious objects of hers and as you find out more about them, you will also learn more about her. Quite a beautiful journey I think.

Toni-Lee I love your tagline here - Woman of the west with eyes on the East! hahaha very clever!

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 05:22:09 am »

Hi Cathy,

Lovely bottle, I do like his fish bottles but as I smoke, drink wine, am addicted to buying snuff bottles, Inro and lacquerware it seems I have something of an addictive nature and have little money left to go for the big ticket bottles.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 11:15:28 am »

Haha Adrian - I think you forgot to mention collecting/maintaining exotic cars too!
My focus is pretty narrow - just a Goody Two Shoes - don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do? Buy snuff bottles!

That reminded me of Adam Ant and so I just got my big Friday laugh here
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 02:28:09 pm »

Ooops, forgot the cars. At least I've given up buying boats, there were 8 different boats in 12 years.

Watching Adam Ant takes me back a bit, happy days.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: