About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 01:42:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Overlay oddity.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Overlay oddity.  (Read 580 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: December 08, 2016, 03:30:04 am »

Hi All.

This is a new one on me (which isn't hard) that came via a mixed lot at auction.

The panel is not IP'd from inside as the inside shows nothing but the base glass. So an IP'd panel set on top of the base glass and surrounded by the overlay glass.

To the naked eye the painted panel is a jumble but with a loupe you can see a number of horses, the reverse panel is similar. Carved handles to the sides and a pink coral stopper with a brass collar and white metal spoon.

Anyone seem anything similar ?

Regards all, Adrian.

* P1010246 (2).jpg (81.14 KB, 403x480 - viewed 41 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 03:41:01 am »

Adrian

These are turn of the 19th to 20th century bottles.  They are painted on the inside (on top of the glass) and then overlaid with clear glass windows.  I have two similar ones but the panels are cracked.  Hard to find in perfect condition.   Yours is pretty good!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 04:04:35 am »

I have never held one of these in hand.. I did not know the process you mention Pat.  How in the world would they add an overlay to the interior of the bottle after painted ?  Seems like an impossible task.

I do like your bottle very much Adrian.  The bottle shape seems slightly off to me for these, but I can surely be wrong. 

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:09:09 am »

I don't either but its definitely paint under there.. somehow.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:19:28 am »

Hi Pat and George,

Thank you for the input and info.

It's a bit vertically challenged being 1.75 " high so the detail in the panel looks far better in the picture I posted than in real life. The stopper, if it's original to the bottle, seemed to suggest a better bottle as the coral is perfect and a nice pink.

If it's painted in enamel does it get fired in the process of making it !

Surprised at the age, I had a sense of it being newer from the feel of the painting.

Thank you both, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 04:24:30 am »

The painting actually matches the transition period in IP (1850-1880) in its simplistic almost childlike characters and animals.  I own a dozen or so of these IP bottles.. so it might actually be a bit older.  Who knows for sure....

Forgot to mention that whatever the process is for inserting the windows somehow stresses and expands them so they crack over time. Both of mine are, and I have seen others similar
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 07:58:45 am »

Dear George,

I've seen examples but never bought any, since the quality of painting wasn't there in my opinion.
But imagine gluing a glass watch-face over a painted panel. That's basically what you have there.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:47:43 am »

Adrian,

I have read a number of descriptions and seen a number of pictures of this type of bottle over the years, but have not handle one as of yet.  Apparently rice paper paintings have been placed under the watch glass shield as well on some of these bottles.  Also mentioned with this type, as you discussed, some are indeed painted on the inside of the bottle to fill the watch glass area.  So my point as I understand it form my reading is there are a number of different methods used to create the image under a watch glass shield.  Just food for thought.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:56:24 am »

Apparently rice paper paintings have been placed under the watch glass shield as well on some of these bottles. 

I remember something about the rice paper Charll... Maybe it was you who talked about it before on forum here..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: