About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:26:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Photos and thoughts on fake cinnabar lacquer.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos and thoughts on fake cinnabar lacquer.  (Read 370 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: December 06, 2016, 12:08:07 pm »

I know that I may be taking it to the very basics as far as members here are concerned and also that this has been covered in the "Lacquer (I hope so)" thread but that takes the matter from the other end, how to tell if it's real lacquer, as opposed to how to spot a fake. It's different, honest, it is.

You can see that from the fact the "Lacquer (I hope so)" thread has had 24,540 views that it's a topic of interest. The fact that there were 43 guests on this site when I started typing this shows there are good numbers of people looking at the site even if they are not posting or signing up and anything that helps them from avoiding mistakes can only be good.

The bottle that prompted me to post was up for sale at $1,000's and sadly I see numerous bottles for sale at high prices that cannot justify what is being sought for them. A site I use has very modern glass overlay bottles that it's claimed are perfectly preserved from the 1700's, I doubt they are over a year old, although at the price being asked for them they may have been in stock for a while.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: