About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:36:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Meeting a forum member by coincidence

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meeting a forum member by coincidence  (Read 428 times)
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« on: December 03, 2016, 02:32:26 am »

Dear all,

What a small world it is. Geoff and I just happened to meet each other on a public bus by coincidence and had a 10 minute sharing on snuff bottles during the short journey together! Cheesy And that happened just over a week after we first met at the forum members HK meeting!

Best to all,
Samson

P.S. I'm glad that I didn't hesitate to approach him and say hello even when I wasn't 100% sure if it was him at first, otherwise the encounter wouldn't have happened... Europeans have similar appearance in the eyes of Asians... Grin
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 02:34:16 am by samsonlzj » Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 03:28:17 am »

That is really amazing !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 06:01:43 am »

Dear Samson,
“Europeans have similar appearance in the eyes of Asians…”: to us it is the opposite, in fact we have a joke about that. 
In the street, a prostitute is approached by a Chinese man. They negotiated the amount to pay, but the man did request that the meeting has to be done at his home. Once there, they went to the bed. After quickly doing what was obvious, the Chinese man said to the prostitute “wait a moment” and he went under the bed, reappearing after a few seconds, and doing again the same thing. Then, again, “wait a moment”, he goes under the bed and come back suddenly, repeating everything. After five of six times of the same story, the prostitute, who was asking herself what he was doing under the bed, coming back with more vigor than before, could not resist and had a quick look under the bed, discovering 20 Chinese guys hided there.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 05:27:31 pm »

Giovanni put it in a slightly different way than I would, but he's right, it's the same for Westerners looking at Chinese.

When Samson approached me in the bus, my initial thought was 'why is this guy coming to me?'. Then it twigged and I knew it was Samson.

The net result was we talked too long without watching where we were and I (and my family) got off the bus four stops too late. So we had to walk back! Never mind, it was a good conversation.

And an amazing coincidence. Hong Kong is a big city with thousands of buses and we don't live anywhere near one another. It just goes to show, how many 'near misses' must happen in real life!

Geoff
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 05:38:02 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:00:10 am »

Guys,

In 1988, I visited the PRC my first time.
    True story. After 8 days (4 in Shanghai, 3 in Suzhou, and one to Nanjing), I came down for breakfast in Nanjing, walked around the huge dining room for 12 min., and then was taken in hand by a Chinese waitress, who led me to my group's 2 tables. I could identify personal features on all the Chinese, but all the Westerners looked alike to me!  Roll Eyes Grin
Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: