About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 05:00:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

My Warrior Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Warrior Bottle  (Read 545 times)
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« on: December 02, 2016, 10:20:46 am »

Dear all,

Here I share with you a warrior theme bottle I acquired not long ago. Depicted in the painting is the scene of "Three Heroes Battle Lv Bu" from Romance of the Three Kingdoms. This is my first warrior bottle and the holy grail in my current collection! Wink

To me, this is like the ancient Chinese version of Avengers… Cheesy

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!

Best to all,
Samson

P.S. The last pic shows it alongside my YZS bottle.

* rsz_dscn0011.jpg (199.03 KB, 450x600 - viewed 55 times.)

* rsz_dscn0012.jpg (190.14 KB, 450x600 - viewed 40 times.)

* rsz_dscn0014.jpg (387.78 KB, 800x600 - viewed 35 times.)

* rsz_dscn0009.jpg (467.51 KB, 800x600 - viewed 42 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

cshapiro

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 11:06:07 am »

Dear Samson,

I like your bottle! The battle scene is very similar to the series of warrior bottles we have been discussing a lot recently that are by Liu Qiao and Yong Shoutian.
The reverse reminds me of a scene I've seen repeated on some porcelain bottles.

Congratulations on both!
Cathy
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 02:50:46 pm »

Honestly, I think this is the nicest painting within a large bottle that I have seen..

Reminds me of my very first bottle like this.. It was also a large amber glass bottle..  I found it online in the middle of the night. I had to wake my girlfriend up and tell her because I was so excited !

Congratulations !! 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 12:44:23 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
cshapiro

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 04:41:22 pm »

Just checking but this is by Meng Zishou right?
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 05:13:31 pm »

Thanks George and Cathy! Yes, it is Meng Zishou. 7.6cm high with the stopper. I think the stopper is tourmaline.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:49:00 pm »

Beautiful bottle Samson ! I think the stopper is made of rose quartz. It's too pink to be tourmaline but that's based on the pics only of course . Congrats !
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 10:50:52 pm »

Thanks Pat! It may well be rose quartz. I'm not sure, I can see some greenish inclusion in it though..

Anyway, this is the first MZS bottle in yellow glass I've seen. My interpretation of the figures depicted is, the one in he center holding two swords: Liu Bei; lower left: Lv Bu; lower right: Zhang Fei; reverse: Guan Yu judging from the weapons used by them... Roll Eyes

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 05:58:29 am »

Very nice bottle....

Keep collecting this way.... you will end up with lesser rubbish bottles compared to most of us

Congratulation

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 10:17:44 pm »

Dear Pin,

Thank you for the encouragement. True, my goal is to enlarge the proportion of quality bottles in my collection. However, quality bottles come with a price, this one cost me quite a fortune, frankly it's the most expensive snuff bottle I've bought to date. But as we Chinese say, 一分錢一分貨, with every penny comes quality in its equivalent. Although from time to time there may be cases where we may be able snatch a piece or two for a bargain. To achieve the above, I need to be patient, receptive to advises, willing to learn and ready to pay for quality stuff at right prices, yet not let it strain my finances as a sustainable collection is also what I want.

Best,
Samson

Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 03:58:49 pm »

Samson, I had a similar looking stopper on a bottle of mine and like you thought it was tourmaline. So I took off the spoon and cork and did a specific gravity test on it. It came back at specific gravity 4! Which means it may very well be pink sapphire. Since yours looks so similar, I would be curious to see what the specific gravity is!

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 06:20:51 pm »

Cathy, mine looks similar to this one. Your finding suggests another possibility. Frankly, at first the stopper did not draw that big of an attention from me, but as the discussion goes, I'm becoming more eager to find out more about it. Well I'm not going to take the spoon and cork apart though as I wouldn't know how to put them back together. But I may try to provide better close-up shots of it. One remarkable thing about my stopper is it comes with some greenish inclusion, I'm not sure if that indicates anything.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

cshapiro

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 07:57:13 pm »

Super glue to the rescue!
It was really old and so the cork (really I think it was old paper) came off with just a tiny nudge and disentigrated. I bought a whole lot of tiny corks on ebay so I will replace it.
One other thing I've done to remove them is use a tiny brush and some fingernail polish remover at the base. With a little patience, it will eat the old glue and not harm the cork.
Most of the bottles I get have issues with the top.

Here are some of my favorites! I don't know what the red stone is on the top one, but it's followed by a beautiful tourmaline and jade, an amber, a genuine pearl!, lapis and brass button, coral and pearl!, and coral and carnelian.

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: