About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 02:14:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A showy little number

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A showy little number  (Read 358 times)
forestman
Private Boards

« on: November 30, 2016, 08:08:01 am »

I'm not much of one for overly decorative bottles but this one managed to make an appearance in my growing collection despite having a sense of being bought at Disneyland about it.

Regards all, Adrian.

* P1010238 (2).jpg (52.4 KB, 389x480 - viewed 39 times.)

* P1010239 (2).jpg (56.53 KB, 406x480 - viewed 32 times.)

* P1010242 (2).jpg (59.93 KB, 404x480 - viewed 36 times.)

* P1010240 (2).jpg (63.26 KB, 380x480 - viewed 35 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 11:04:29 am »

Interesting bottle... The enamel work is really pretty nice !  I wonder if this might not be pretty new ?

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 11:34:55 am »

I've seen some bottles like this before. Really good quality and assumed they are well made modern examples?
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 01:56:53 pm »

This was one of the first bottles I bought when I started collecting again after a long break and was the first bottle I bought that broke a three figure sum after buyers premium had been added, so an online auction purchase, sight unseen apart from pictures.

As it was before I had discovered ebay I got clobbered in a small way at the same auction by a "mutton fat jade and white metal mounted snuff bottle". They appear on ebay on a regular basis described as white jade when they are white glass. Mine is not pristine as the ones on ebay are although that means nothing. I'd be amazed if mine was mutton fat jade but you live and learn. I did see one coming up a auction in  the US with a guide price of around $800=$1200 so they may be getting that one back.

When I went to pick this bottle up my first thought was it was relatively new. As George is an ebay watcher he may be aware of a Chinese seller who sells some nice modern copies of older bottles some of which are similar to this. I've been watching in nervous anticipation of another one like mine appearing but as yet none has.

Whether old or new, it is well made and decorated. When I picked it up my first worry was that it may have been transfer decorated but a quick look under a loupe made me sight with some relief.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: