About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:08:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Couple of nice White Jade Bottles !

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Couple of nice White Jade Bottles !  (Read 1076 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 06:05:03 pm »

What is the source of your statement re.drilling and bottles being 18th C.?

From Matthew Isganaitis.. I trust him very much..

He also shared that "with machine carving it's very difficult to execute the strong edges of the foot and neck. Slow carving is the only way to achieve sharp consistent edges like this generally". I took that to mean old school pedal type rotary tools.

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 01:29:51 am »

Mr. Isganaitis would not be my first pick as a jade expert. Or tenth, or 50th, for that matter.

Steven Little at LACMA in LA, Robyn Turner in LA (until recently in NYC), Clare Chu also in LA, Ka Bo Tsang in Toronto, Paul Moss in London UK, Mrs. Hartman in NYC, Carol Michaelson at the BM in London UK, Therese Tse Bartholomew in SFO; I could go on, with a bit more sleep (I landed 12 hrs. ago, and just returned from a few hrs. at the National Palace Museum).
Wayne Morioka in Honolulu, also comes to mind.
     And I would not rely on that as a 'proof' of 18th C. Manufacture, were I you.
But feel free.
Best,
Joey

What is the source of your statement re.drilling and bottles being 18th C.?

From Matthew Isganaitis.. I trust him very much..

He also shared that "with machine carving it's very difficult to execute the strong edges of the foot and neck. Slow carving is the only way to achieve sharp consistent edges like this generally". I took that to mean old school pedal type rotary tools.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:39:36 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 01:45:26 am »

Would someone mind explaining who Matthew Isganaitis is? I have never heard of him.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 02:11:13 am »

Would someone mind explaining who Matthew Isganaitis is? I have never heard of him.

Tom

Here is a Facebook page for him Tom.. I trust his knowledge completely..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/319030194928738/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 02:13:55 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2016, 02:16:06 am »

And I would not rely on that as a 'proof' of 18th C. Manufacture, were I you.
But feel free.
Best,
Joey

That is why I said "it can help to date"..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 03:42:44 am »

OK, thanks George.

I have seen the marks left on recessed bases by core drilling as noted by you in this thread. Not only on white jade bottles, but also on agate and quartz bottles. In my experience, top quality bottles never show any kind of tool marks on any part of the bottle - outside or inside. I agree with Joey that it is a sign of sloppiness. That does not remove the possibility of it being 18th century - just that some corners were cut in finishing the bottle.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 06:34:05 am »

But from it possibly being 18th C., the sloppy finishing notwithstanding, to that being proof it IS 18th C., is a BIG jump.
Best,
Joey

OK, thanks George.

I have seen the marks left on recessed bases by core drilling as noted by you in this thread. Not only on white jade bottles, but also on agate and quartz bottles. In my experience, top quality bottles never show any kind of tool marks on any part of the bottle - outside or inside. I agree with Joey that it is a sign of sloppiness. That does not remove the possibility of it being 18th century - just that some corners were cut in finishing the bottle.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: