About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:05:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Bottle signed Ting Erhchung

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottle signed Ting Erhchung  (Read 364 times)
guest588
« on: October 31, 2016, 06:11:58 pm »

Hello Everyone! Thanks again for accepting me to the group. My name is Lewis. Always looking out for treasures. I never actually came across any snuff bottles until an estate sale I visited over the weekend which included hundreds, all for the same price. Instatly wished I'd known more about them!!! I picked a small lot for myself anyways and hope to learn more here! This is one of the bottles I picked up. A little larger than a regular snuff bottle so I'm guessing it's a medicine bottle? I was told it was signed Ting Erhchung but that the signature likely was not his. I understand there are some complexities regarding who signs what and their relationship (if any) to the artist. In any case, the detail seems especially fine. The glass or crystal has a sort of carved or cut quality to it with a certain "grain" throughout and with some dirt embedded in the engravings on the side. Also the inner portion of the neck is not centered very well and seems closer to one side than the other. Any information or observations greatly appreciated!

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 09:31:52 pm »

Of course we have already talked about this being falsely signed via Facebook , but just want to add that the bottle itself was carved out of a glass ingot..

I know you are looking for additional help for it, so lets see what others can add for you..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 10:25:09 pm »

Dear Lewis,

Warm welcome.
That is one big bottle and presumably 10cm or slightly more. Definitely not Ding ErZhong and this type of glass bottle are new made to look old.

From your description of bottles in the hundreds, don't think you paid much for them. This will be my type of learning curve if I just started collecting.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 10:43:05 pm »

Welcome to Forum Lewis,

I agree with George and YT ,and bottle sure is modern fake. And not s good copy.

Before buying any more  bottles with big names, study first ,there are more than 10 times fakes on the market than the real ones ,you have to be well prepared before spending much funds on  buying.

Look through from the previous posts on the forum, I think there is a lot to be learned.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

guest588
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 04:13:27 pm »

Thanks everyone! And no, I didn't pay much for it! Decided to take a gamble but wished I'd know more! Not sure I'll ever come across a lot like that again. House was in the middle of the woods too. Sale was in Maiden NC a couple weeks ago and apparently people drove from all over for it. Thanks again for the input!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: